Part 17: Girlfriend?

He woke up with a lot of soft, blonde hair, spread all over his face. He smiled to himself, slowly getting aware of the sleeping form curled up on his chest. Wiping her hair carefully off his face, he found her tiny body wrapped against his side, her head on his chest, her little ineffectual fist clutching a handful of the fabric from his shirt. It was the cutest thing he had ever seen. He had never seen her like this at all. So vulnerable, so... not caring about anything, searching for comfort and closeness.

He moved his hand slowly up and down her upper arm, completely enjoying the cuddling. In this moment he didn't bother to think about when she was going to be ready anymore. It didn't matter. They were here, together, in her bed, cuddling, at 6.30 am on a Saturday morning.

After a few minutes had passed she begun to move and turned around, her head still on his chest, but facing him now. Another minute passed and she begun to stir, slowly opening her eyes which were now trying to focus on him, full of sleep and still a little red from the crying.

"Hey" he said, stroking her soft cheek. "Hey" she replied softly, smiling at him, her voice muffled and raspy. He just kept smiling at her, letting his hand move from her shoulder, down her arm to finally rest it on top of hers. She almost fell back asleep before Andrew finally broke the silence and asked carefully: "How are you?"

"Right now, in this moment... Amazing" she replied, her eyes still closed. "Me too" he quietly said, rubbing his thumb slowly over the back of her hand. But then her smile faded as the memory of the previous evening made their way back into her mind.

"We have to talk about this right?" she said, her voice low and somehow with a hint of fear as well. At first he didn't answer and just sighed, looking at her now open eyes, which were fixed on his hand on top of hers. "Yeah, but not now" he then said, bringing his gaze away from her, to look at the ceiling.

Silence. They stayed in silence for at least five minutes before she begun to speak again. "It's complicated... I- yesterday I- I said something and now I'm scared that you—that you could have misunderstand it and... I- I said I felt like I was cheating on Derek. When I'm with you. But that's not what I actually wanted to say... I- It's just that I'm not ready for... this. After Derek died I- I thought 'that's it. I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life'. Like not alone alone because I have my kids and Maggie and Amelia, just- just that I thought I would never be able to be with someone else, to kiss someone else to have a relationship with someone else and- but I- but then you came here. And everything was so perfect. Everything still is perfect. And that's what's scaring me. I kissed you and it was perfect. I went on dates with you and they were perfect. And I'm scared of that perfect. I want to be with you Andrew. I want to move on and be happy. Waking up with you like this feels so perfect that I-... I 'm trying so hard, to be ready because this whole complicated... thing- it's... it's not fair towards you. I know you said that we would take this slow and that you would wait for me but I- I don't know if this is okay." He then felt her turn around on him again and as he looked at her he saw her looking up to the ceiling as well now.

"I'm ready. I'm ready to be in a relationship, if you want to- to be in a relationship with me than I'm in. I want all this. The kissing, the dates. The waking up next to each other but I- I'm not ready for sex." She then said, her hands resting on her stomach while her head was still laying on his chest.

"Okay" he replied after he listened to her monologue, trying to understand everything of what she said since she was talking pretty fast and mostly didn't finish her sentences.

"Okay?" she asked surprised, sitting up and looking at him. "Okay" he said again, looking back at her, while a small smile appearing on his lips.

"Okay" she repeated, smiling at him too. "Okay" she said again, more to herself right now. But then she suddenly leaned forward and after she whispered a third, quiet "okay" she placed her lips on his, kissing him softly. He moved his hands around her waist and carefully pulled her on top of him. He then broke the kiss and pulled a strand of hair that had fallen into her face behind her ear. "So... I can call you my girlfriend?" he asked, looking at her like a teenage-boy in love as she just shook her head chuckling, leaning towards him again, kissing him. 

Just a short chapter =) see ya soon

TO BE CONTINUED...