Part 28: News

As soon as they laid in bed, Meredith's mind started pacing. He noticed. But she wasn't sure if she was happy or embarrassed about it. On the one side she wanted nothing more than not to feel like this anymore. She wanted his help. But on the other side... she was weak and she knew that. And if she admitted that to him... she had no idea what his reaction would be. She was scared. He said that he wouldn't leave her and she literally just agreed to move in with him so what was she scared of.

The next morning, they quietly got ready for work. Meredith & Maggie brought the kids to school and day-care while Andrew, Amelia and Link drove together to the hospital. Andrew knew that despite their fight Amelia cared about her sister but he didn't felt comfortable with talking about Meredith when Link was in the car since he barely knew him. Today he wasn't on Meredith's but on Bailey's service and she settled a council for 7.40 am so as soon as they arrived at the hospital he quickly went to the locker room, changed into his scrubs and headed to Bailey's office.

Honestly he was a little scared about working with Bailey. She was an amazing surgeon but she was also chief and he was in an inappropriate relationship with one of his co-workers. He also didn't know if Bailey knew about him and Meredith, he didn't think so but they had been pretty close ever since he started working at GSMH.

Working with Bailey was absolutely amazing. Of course he loved working with Meredith but it was nice to learn some different methods. The consult ended pretty quickly as they diagnosed the man with an appendicitis within minutes and since it wasn't so busy today, directly went into surgery. Dr. Bailey let Andrew do the whole surgery which actually felt great. In only about half a year he was going to the boards so that he would finally be an attending himself and he couldn't wait for that moment to happen. As if Bailey could read his mind she suddenly said: "Deluca, I want to offer you a position as a general surgeon at Grey Sloan. I already talked to the board and they approved it. You are a talented surgeon and I know that your fellowship had been barley three months but since I have a lot other duties as the chief and Grey is currently working on the trial, I would really appreciate it if you would accept"

He was stunned. He just thought about it again and now it was coming true. He was going to be a surgeon. "It would be an honour Dr. Bailey" he replied as he finished the last stich and put down the instruments. "Great, would you come to my office then after you finished here?" she asked and he quickly replied, still full of adrenalin "Of course" as she left the room with a smile.

He was going to be an attending. And there was only one person he wanted to tell this. After he scrubbed out he practically run to the lab where he burst through the door and found Meredith sitting at her desk, writing something down in her notebook. She looked up at him surprised as he stood in front of her. The brightest smile possible on his face.

"You okay?" Meredith chuckled slightly as she quickly closed the notebook and let it slip into her bag. "I have to tell you something" he said full of joy as he pulled her closer to him, laid an arm around her waist and took her other hand in his, beginning to dance. "Why are we dancing" she smiled as she looked at him expectantly.

"Bailey just offered me an attending position here at Grey Sloan and I accepted" he said in one breath as he continued to dance with her through the whole room as if there were music playing. "Oh my god that's amazing" she exclaimed and kissed him softly. "I'm proud of you" she then added in a quieter voice as she looked into his hazel brown eyes, a big smile still on her face.

"I have to go, she wanted me to come to her office, I just wanted to tell you first" he said as he kissed her one more time and then pulled away from her. As she continued to smile at each other. "Okay, see you later Dr. Deluca" she replied before he walked out of the lab to meet Bailey.

When he got into Bailey's office she was already sitting behind her desk, waiting for him. "So there are some things we have to talk about before you can sign the contract" she said as she gestured towards one of the chairs on the opposite side of her desk on which Andrew said down.

"What is going on between you and Grey" she asked, mustering him carefully. She knew. "What do you mean?" he replied innocently. "You know exactly, what I mean" she replied with the typical Bailey-voice making a short break in the middle of the sentence.

"You know." It was rather a statement than a question. He knew that she knew. "I am Doctor Bailey I know everything" she replied with a sheepish smile on her face as she leant back in her chair.

"I am just asking you if you can keep your relationship at the hospital professional. You two are not the first and not the last couple here but as soon as I see that this relationship effects any of your work you have a serious problem. So I am asking if you can do that."

"Of course, we will keep it professional" he replied and was slightly surprised as her smile got even bigger. "You know she is the only one left from my interns now that Karev moved to New York so.... If you'll ever hurt her" she threatened and Andrew quickly replied: "I would never hurt her"

"Okay, so then here is the contract, you'll work night shifts every once a week or if we are on shortage sometimes maybe for a full weak. At the next mixture you'll get your own group of interns but for now you'll get some of Karev's" she explained while he signed the contract.

She continued to declare every detail so when he got out of her office it was already lunch time. He directly went back to the lab to get Meredith and eat with her.

As soon as he got back to the lab Meredith stood up and smiled at him slightly. "I'm sorry" she then said while he was clueless what exactly she was sorry about. "What for?" he then said with a frown. "I'm sorry I haven't been myself lately. You were right, something was wrong but I guess I'm okay now. And even if I'm not I'll try to be" she said, taking his hand in his and he sighed. "Mer, it's okay to be not okay you know? And if you're not okay you can always talk to me" he replied and kissed her softly.
"Want to go grab some lunch?" he asked and she replied with a quick "Sure."

'Screw this' she thought. She didn't need to control her eating habits to feel better. That was stupid. How did she even come up with that idea because it was stupid. Or not? No. No. stupid. She behaved pathetic the past few weeks. Even if you can't behave pathetic that's exactly what she did. So now lunch. She could do this.

As soon as they sat down at a table in the corner with both a salad and some fries Andrew immediately begun to eat. "Aren't you hungry?" he said as she just kept starring at her food. "Yes I am" she replied with a quiet and kind of shocked voice. "Then why aren't you eating?" he replied chuckling but instantly got worried when he saw her eyes shimmering with tears. "I can't" she said, looking down at her food and then back up to meet his confused eyes. "What do you mean you can't?" he asked.

"I-I don't-" she begun and added after a short pause "I'm not fine." Her voice was almost about a whisper now.

TO BE CONTINNUED...