Part 15: I can't

A few weeks had passed after their semi-date when Meredith was sick and Andrew had brought her soup. She had return to work two days after their dinner, and he was determined to ask her out on a real date, in a nice restaurant with a fancy dinner and maybe a good-night's kiss. But both of them had been really busy. Meredith and Andrew had signed up for a study and were now spending pretty much time in the labour among with Jo, researching about Diabetes with the help of mice. Andrew and Jo had found the study in a rather old book while studying for a surgery and told Mer about it excitedly. She didn't hesitate a second and went to Bailey with the study to ask her for permission.

But still, every time he saw her he wanted to catch her alone and ask her out but it seemed like she was whether avoiding him, or was really that busy, that she didn't have any time to speak with him alone. Glancing at the OR board he saw that she had just finished her last surgery for the day a few minutes ago and he decided to finally search her and talk to her.

He had no idea what they were. Was this a relationship? No idea. Where they a couple? No idea. Was she ready to be in a relationship? No, not really. She wasn't ready and he knew that. He knew that if he would go just a little too fast, it would scare her off, she would run and leave him heartbroken. She had been right. She was going to hurt him if he wasn't careful. Did he want this? Did he want to go this slow and be this careful, staying for maybe more than a few years in a semi-relationship, waiting for her to move on and be with him? –He asked that himself a lot lately, doubting that he would have the patience to wait for her forever. He would give her time. Of course he would. Meredith had lost her husband, the father of her children and he wouldn't dare push her to move on when she wasn't ready. But was he going to wait for however long it was going to take until she was ready? No idea...

Yet he again thought about their kiss. Or rather kisses at the wedding two weeks ago. Two weeks. Two weeks since he had last talk to her about non-work-related things. She had kissed him. And she hadn't run. She hadn't run away and that was a good thing... right? Yes. Yes. A good thing. Definitely good. They shared an amazing kiss and she said that she didn't want to hurt him. That meant that she was trying right? She was trying to move on. He then thought about the phone call he had heard where Meredith had talked to Cristina whom he had now figured out was her so-called "person" or best friend as other people would put it. Cristina had asked: 'You fell in love with him?' and she hadn't answered properly. She hadn't answered. She hadn't said no... but those feelings were probably from what they had shared when they were young, before he left, before she met Derek and before she became a widow.

Ripped out of his thoughts by a shout from a nurse at an intern he noticed that he had made his way through the whole hospital towards the labour, he hoped to find Mer in, without even realising it. He slowly opened the door, finding her sitting at a microscope, writing something in a journal, looking back into the microscope every few minutes. She hadn't noticed him coming in and he just stood there, looking at her with a slight smile on his face. Whenever he had thoughts about how long he would have to wait for her or if she will ever be ready to be with him, when he saw her all those doubts flow away and he was filled with the common warm feeling, whenever he thought of her.

After a few minutes he decided to walk up to her and finally ask her out for dinner. "Mer?" he asked carefully as she slightly jumped in her chair. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you" he chuckled softly, sitting down next to her. "Hey, no it's okay, I was deep in thought... I didn't even hear you come in" she replied, scratching something down in her notebook again, before looking at him. "Everything okay?" she then asked a little concerned as he stayed silent. "No, yes, I- I came here to ask you if you were interested in dinner. Like in a restaurant-way dinner... you know...?" he said, smiling about her blushing cheeks. "So... a date?" she asked smiling at him which make all his doubts disappear. She didn't look scared. She looked...happy. Yeah she looked really happy. "Sure I'd love to" she then said smiling at him brightly.

"Okay- so what about today? At seven? I'll pick you up" he said, leaning back in the chair a little bit more relaxed now by the fact that she didn't seem anything but ready, thinking about a date. "Okay" she replied, leaning back as well. "Great! Well I'll see you tonight then" he said standing up, his voice sounding like it was a common thing and not something they were kind of trying to do since high school, which made Meredith chuckle as she returned back to her work.

________________

6:57...6:58...6:59. He got out of his car. He had been sitting in his car for what felt like an entirety but had only been barely ten minutes. He couldn't wait any longer, so he got out of the car and made his way over to the door knocking slightly, since he knew the kids were about to go to bed. After a few seconds, Amelia opened the door and smiled at him brightly. "Andrew! Nice to see you" she said, opening the door a little further for him to get inside. "Hi! Is Mer ready?" he asked, looking at the brown-haired woman in front of him. "Mer? Your date's here!" she yelled up the stairs and they heard a muffled response: "Coming"

A minute later Meredith came down the stairs in grey pants and a light red blouse, looking absolutely stunning. "Wow" he said breathless. "You look amazing" he added smiling at her, after scanning her whole body up and down. "Thanks, you look pretty good yourself" she replied, blushing a little. "Ready?" he asked her, taking her hand in his. "Ready" she replied, squeezing his hand slightly.

_______________

As soon as they reached the door he grabbed her hand, turned her around and captured her lips with his own. He got closer, pressing his body as close to her as possible, taking in the sweet flowery scent of her hair, the smell of lavender instantly relaxing him. Her skin felt so soft against his, her hand going smoothly through his hair. Suddenly the kiss begun to grow more passionate, their breathing becoming quicker, his mind filled with lust. He didn't even think about slow anymore. He wanted her. They quickly got through the door, not letting go off each other. They stumbled up the stairs, kicking off their shoes, making their way through the hallway into Meredith's room. As she begun to rip of his shirt he opened the buttons of her blouse, striping it off of her easily.

Suddenly she broke the kiss, pushing herself away from him, fear in her eyes. "I'm s-sorry I can't do this." She said, breaking into tears, running into the bathroom and locking the door behind her. He slowly sat down at the edge of her bed, his face resting in his palms as he heard her quiet sobs coming from the other side of the door...

AN: Sorry for the delay ;) I'm trying to write as much as possible during the final exams...

Honestly I have no idea where this is going... I have a lot of ideas for the future of them but not really much for the next few chapters.. anyways... have a good day guys =).