Part 23: Back to normal, or not

A week had passed with Maggie, Amelia and Alex trying to get Meredith out of bed but it had no use. The morning Meredith was supposed to come back to work Maggie and Amelia sat in the kitchen hoping Meredith would come downstairs even if it probably wasn't a good idea to go to work in the state she was in. Suddenly the phone rang and Maggie picked it up. It was Andrew. "Hey, Meredith isn't picking up the phone so I thought she's probably in surgery well- uhm I just wanted to let her know that I came back yesterday, I already talked to Bailey, she wanted to give me time off but I really miss work. Well anyways could you tell that I'll see her at the hospital?" he said as Maggie just listened without saying anything.

"Uhm yeah sure" she answered somehow feeling guilty for letting him believe Mer was in surgery instead of lying in bed, too deep in her thoughts to answer her phone. "Okay thank you, see you later" he said and she replied with a quick "bye" before hanging up.

"Andrew is coming home" she said with a relieved sigh. "I'm sure he can get her out of bed"

"Well she has to tell him about the miscarriage first but I think that's a little too much expected I mean-" but Amy didn't finish her sentence as Meredith surprisingly appeared in the door, fully dressed, her hair still a little wet from the shower she obviously took.

"Hey Mer, you decided to come downstairs! Want some breakfast?" Maggie said cheerfully, looking from Amy to Meredith and back. "No thank you I'm not really hungry" Meredith replied with a shy voice. "I'll just drive to the hospital" she added and turned around but was stopped by Maggie. "Wait! Uhm Andrew called he said that he came home yesterday and that he'll start working at the hospital today"

"Okay thank you" Meredith replied and disappeared in the hallway. "I thought she would be a little more excited about him coming home" Amelia said worried as she looked at her sister. "She has to tell him already! He will be super mad when he finds out that she kept his damn child and the miscarriage a secret for more than a week."

"Wouldn't you be mad?" she added after Maggie shot her a glare. "Yes I would" she admitted quietly placing her plate in the dishwasher. "I'll go now, if you want a ride you should get ready" she said as she disappeared in the hallway as well. "Yes ma'am" Amelia said with a sigh and started to get ready as well.

At the hospital Meredith immediately begun to drown all her feelings in work. It helped. She could focus on something she had control over since everything seemed to be out of her control. After a quick check up Bailey had resisted on Meredith went straight to the pit to look for some interesting cases to distract herself. Around an hour into her shift Dr. Weber approached her and asked for her help on a case of advanced cancer in a man's kidney.

But the surgery didn't go as planned. He coded twice and the bleeding had gotten so strong that Dr. Webber declared him dead after just 45 minutes into the procedure. She tried to put herself together during scrubbing out while her inside was literally falling apart. She didn't even had control over this. Nothing. There was nothing she had control over. Absolutely nothing. Everything was falling apart around her. And there was nothing she could do about it. After she talked to the family with Richard, well he talked she just stood there, deep in her thoughts, she went to the lab. Maybe her research on the diabetes trial was something she had control over.

As she entered the lab she found Maggie and Amelia sitting on the couch in a deep conversation. "Hey" she said shyly sitting down at her desk. "Hey." Amelia said coldly as she stood up. "Have you seen Andrew yet?" she then asked, coming over to where she sat. "N-no I haven't" Meredith replied, opening her notebook. "You are avoiding him" Amelia continued. "I am not avoiding him." She replied sternly.

"Yes you are, Meredith you have to tell him! He deserves to know abut this!" she kept going which made Meredith boil with anger. "You stay out of this" she said, trying to sound calm. "No! He deserves to know Meredith. And if you don't tell him, I will!"

"Don't you dare! You have no say in this so just shut up Amelia" Meredith shot back, not so calm anymore. "Yes I get a say in this because you told me to keep it a secret while I'm just trying to help you"

"Then stop trying to help me for god's sake! IT IS NON OF YOUR BUISSNES! HIS MOTHER JUST DIED HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TELL HIM THAT I DIDN'T ONLY GOT PREGNANT WITH HIS BABY BUT ALSO MISCARRIED IT" Meredith yelled now staying face to face with Amelia. But Amelia suddenly didn't look at her anymore but at a spot right next to her left ear which made Meredith turn around. There he stood. Shock written all over his face. "A-Andrew" Meredith stuttered, tears now forming in her eyes.

It was all too much. She couldn't do this anymore. She turned around and ran out of the room not caring about the looks of the nurses and interns which she passed as she desperately tried to find an on-call room with a lock. As soon as she found one, she quickly got inside, turned the lock and sank down on the floor trying to control her breathing as she was hyperventilating.

Only a few seconds later she heard a knock at the door and then his concerned voice. "Mer? Please open the door" she thought about it and then without getting up she turned the lock and he stumbled into the room. Looking around in the darkness he spotted her on the floor, in the corner of the room, breathing heavily. "I'm so sorry" she hiccupped as he sat down beside her and pulled her close to him. "Why didn't you tell me" he said as he took her hand in his. "I was scared. And y-you just lost your mother I-I didn't want to bother you with this." She replied, her breathing still irregular.

"Can you tell me what happened?" he then asked in a quiet voice. And so she begun to tell him about how she found out she was pregnant in the night he went to Italy. How she had suddenly felt a sharp pain after a few days, the blood, the miscarriage and the pain. "I-If you had been in my situation. Would you have told me?" she then asked as he didn't say something. "No" he admitted slowly and she just nodded slightly. "Are you mad at me?" she then asked, her voice just above a whisper. "No I'm not. How could I possibly be mad at you for something you have no control over."

There it was again. She had no control. Over nothing.

TO BE CONTINUED...