🌿Chapter 21🌿

You left the bathroom looking over at Basil's room, you stood still debating on whether you should visit him or not. Walking over to his door you stood in front slowly raising your fist to knock on the door.

Should you really disturb him? I mean he almost drowned and you just watched, it wouldn't be right to interrupt his rest just because you didn't want to be alone.

You put your hand down and sighed "(Y/n)?" you jumped in fear and turned to your side to meet the caring brown eyes of Basil's caretaker. You nervously laughed and rubbed your arm "Ah.. Polly its just you.." you greeted as the older woman smiled and nodded.

"I just wanted to thank you for finding Basil.. i dont know what would've happened if he actually went missing" she said worriedly clasping her arms together and looking down at the floor. You frowned and put a hand on her shoulders, putting a smile on your face before she could see you sad "Its no problem Polly.. i know how much he means to you and he means alot to me too"

You looked over at the clock hanging off the wall and sighed "Well.. uhm.. i better get going.. tell Basil to take care" you said waving at her before heading over to the door. A shaky sigh left you lips before you exited the house, the sun had set leaving the streets dark and empty.

You walked back home, pulling your jacket closer to yourself in hopes of warming your cold body. The night air was always so cold but the feeling of eyes burning into your back didn't help at all. You got home and opened the door, expecting Kathryn to yell at you for being home so late. Instead you were greeted by a hug..

"Oh (Y/n)! I heard what happened with Basil are you two okay?" she asked pulling away and looking at your body for any scratches. You laughed awkwardly and gently pushed her away "W-we're fine... Basil's just healing" you said in hopes to calm down the older woman. She sighed in relief and gave you a sad smile "I know right now isn't the best time for this but uhm... i have some news for you.." she scurried over the coffe table and picked up documents, reading over them again then looking at you.

"I regret to inform you that... since Faraway is well.. faraway and most of your family is in the city" she furrowed her eyebrows and gulped before looking down at her papers "Your fathers funeral will be held in your old town.. im sorry" she apologised.

You frowned and looked down at the ground, trying to comprehend what you just heard. Tears welling up in the corner of your eyes "Oh (Y/n).. im so sorry.." she muttered walking over to hug you.

You straightened your lips and put your hands in front of you, stopping Kathryn from hugging you "No.. its.. its fine.." you said giving her a small smile yet avoiding any eye contact. Afraid that if you looked at her you would cry.

"(Y/n).. darling come sit down with me we can talk alright?" the caretaker asked in a soothing voice reaching over to grab your shouldes,, you shook your head and rubbed your eyes "No.. i said im fine.." you huffed brushing her hand away.

"Please (Y/n)? I care about you and i want to help you.. but i cant if you dont talk to me" you felt frustrated, why wouldn't she just leave you alone?

"Stop... just.. leave me alone for awhile.. i-i need to think" you said rushing up to your room and locking yourself in for the rest of the night.

"Why wont you open up to me (Y/n)?"

The next day, you woke up around 3pm due to last nights curcumstances. You were to scared to be in your room alone so you grabbed paper covered up your bathroom mirror and slept there with the lights on all night.

Your body hurt from the cold tile floor you slept on, but it was better than sleeping in that god forsaken room. You got up and put a hand to your aching head. Aside from the world spinning around you everything else seemed to be fine. Turning to the paper covered mirror you put you hand on it and tore it down. Bags under your eyes paired with messy hair and ice cold skin, you looked like a zombie.

Maybe a hot bath would fix you up a bit, you stripped off your clothes and stepped into the shower. Shampoo, soap then water, your auntie bought you body scrubs and lotions but they look expensive..

So you didn't want to use them yet.

You wrapped a towel around yourself and left the bathroom. You shivered turning to the window that had been open all night, you quickly shut it and rushed to put on clothes. You looked towards your room clock, 10 am. You hummed and sat fully clothed on your bed "Should i visit Basil?" you asked youself.

Turning to face the teddy bear you had, you smiled and held its paw. Fiddling with the magnet inside. It gave you comfort knowing Basil had its pair, your bestfriend... well... we're you guys still best friends even?

You kissed him, flirt with him, treat him and even confessed to him.. but.. times right now are difficult for the both of you.. you weren't even sure if he liked you back..

A sigh left your lips before you stood up and left your room. Walking down the stairs you could hear chatter from the tv and a savory smell in the air. Kathryn was watching tv while sitting on the couch and eating a sandwich she had made.

You walked into the kitchen and saw the same kind of sandwich on the counter. The bread was toasted to be a golden brown, lettuce and other vegetables were seen inside the sandwich. The brownish sauce practically marinating the tender looking meat inside. You smiled and picked it up taking a small bite from it, Kathryn was a really good cook. Though she hadn't been here for long, she had cooked probably the best tasting food you've ever had.

You took the plate and walked into the living room and sat next to the older woman. Kathryn turned her head to you and smiled "Good morning (Y/n)! How are you feeling?" she asked putting her half eaten sandwich on her plate. You gave her a small smile in return and looked down at your plate "Im alright now... sorry about last night i was just a little... scared" you muttered out fiddling with the bit of lettuce that stuck out of the bread. Kathryn nodded and put a gentle hand on your back "Its okay! Im not mad im just worried.. you know im here to help you right?" she asked in a motherly tone.

You pursed your lips into a fine line and nodded, Kathryn smiled and patted your back "Ill wait for you to open up to me alright? I wont force you... Okay! Eat your food its not good when its cold!" she cheered and continued eating the food. You smiled at her and nodded, opening up huh?

That wasn't gonna be easy...

After eating, you went back up to your room, you sat over on your bed holding you head in your hands. The growing head ache wouldn't leave you alone for even a minute.

Maybe practicing the guitar you got would help you get your mind off what happened yesterday. You took it from under your bed and took it out of the padded case along with the tutorial book. You opened it up and rested the guitars curve on your leg, you were on your way to memorising a song called Talk to me by a writer called cavetown.

You heard it a few times on the radio and it sounded like a pretty good song. It came to your surprise when you found it in the song book, you've been trying to learn it for a few days now. Hours passed by with you playing the guitar and muttering the words.

You had no real singing abilities or talents so all you could do was mutter the lyrics in a very broken tune. You sighed in relief as a smile made its way to your face, you finally perfected the song.

You stood up and whistled the chorus of the song, the catchy tune stuck in your head. Excited to show Basil your new found skill, you put the guitar in its case and slung it over your shoulder. You slipped on your shoes and walked down the stairs "Woah woah, Where are you going?" Kathryn asked with a intrigued smirk, clearly seeing the guitar on your shoulder.

"Im going to visit Basil! I'll be back later byeee!" you waved and headed out the door making your way to Basil's house.

oK cavetown probably didn't write songs around this time period but pretend he does for the sake of PLOT

(also because i really like that song)
(also also point out any spelling mistakes please, ily byee :DD)