CHAPTER 11

Alfie

I am cooking our lunch while Grae was busy watching TV on a local channel. She wanted to help me in the kitchen but I refused. I don't like her to work around the house. Kulang na lang ay hindi ko siya pakilusin. She's pregnant and I want to spoil her so much.

Dinig ko rito sa kusina mula sa sala ang mga halakhak niya habang nanonood ng TV. She's watching a noon time show. Maya't-maya siyang tumatawa kaya nawiwili akong panoorin siya. I leaned on the counter island while I crossed my arms. I am watching her intently. She's sitting in a sofa while watching and eating sliced apple dipped in a cane vinegar. She's very engrossed in the TV show that she's giving her opinion while pointing her fingers. Silly woman!

I shook my head and went back to the stove to check what I am cooking. She requested for sinigang na hipon but since I am allergic to prawns, I cooked another meal for myself. I noticed that the TV was turned off, or did she lower the volume? After I put all the ingredients in the pot, I covered it and went to her.

Nadatnan ko siyang nakahiga sa sofa habang nakapikit at hinihilot ang kanyang sentido. "What wrong, honey?"

"My eyes and head hurts." She complained. Naupo ako sa ulunan niya. I guided her head to rest on my leg and massaged her scalp and temple.

"Does this help?" I asked her. Hindi siya kumibo and remained her eyes close. Tiningnan ko ang wall clock, it's almost lunchtime. Kung matutulog siya ngayon, she'll surely eat her lunch late.

I tapped her shoulder. "Babe, I'll go and get medicine for you. Lunch is almost ready." Bulong ko sa kanya.

Tumango lamang siya. I saw how she forced herself to get up. Inalalayan ko lamang siyang bumangon. Nakapikit pa rin siya habang iniinda ang sakit ng ulo niya.

"I have a medicine for headache on my bag. It's safe for pregnant women. Can you get it for me, hon?" she asked. Bahagya pa akong natigilan sa tawag niya sa akin but I have to hurry up.

I looked for the medicine inside her bag. I observed how organize it is. May kanya-kanyang purse sa bawat gamit niya. It's like a whole bag with small bags inside of it. Nang makita ko ang purse niya na may mga gamot, agad kong hinanap ang sinasabi niyang gamot sa akin. I even saw a band aid and a digital thermometer on it. She's always this prepared!

I hurriedly went back to the living room pero hindi ko na siya nadatnan roon. Agad kong tinungo ang kusina. I saw her there pouring water in her glass. Kung makakilos ay akala mong walang iniindang sakit ng ulo. I went closer to her nang makita kong naghahain na siya sa hapag.

"Hey, I thought your hurting? Let me do that." I asked in concern.

Tumango siya. "Nakita mo 'yong gamot ko?"

Inilahad ko ang gamot na hawak ko. "Is this it?"

She nodded again. "Kain na tayo." She smiled at me, trying to keep the pain on herself.

I served her meals once and for all. She mouthed her thanks when I put her plate in front of her. I scooped my own food but I cannot concentrate on eating because Grae is moving very slowly, surely because of headache.

"Let me peel your prawns, babe." I volunteered. She smiled and nodded.

"Thank you. I'm sorry, too." He held my hand and gently caressed it.

It's good that she was able to finish the food I served to her kahit na medyo mabagal siyang kumain. Nakainom na rin siya ng gamot. I hurriedly finished my food so I can send her to our room. Nang maihatid ko na siya roon at nasiguro kong makakapagpahinga na siya ng maayos, I called her OB-Gyne and asked for her advice.