Chapter 30: The Trials Part IV

*** Alyssa's POV ***

Tyler and I were up a little late talking about werewolves again. The Elders let him keep his memories this time, and he came back to me filled with questions. I appreciate his eagerness and willingness to learn, I really do, but eventually I had to cut him off with a reminder that 5 a.m. always comes too soon.

This time, he gets up with me and we get ready for training together. He really seems to want a chance to train with us in wolf form, but I know that even with how fit he is, he is so far from ready for that.

"All in due time," I assure him. "But if you want, I can shift for you and you can spar with my wolf for a bit at some point. I've been wanting to show you anyway."

"Aly, that would be amazing. I really want to see your wolf, and I want to see a shift in real life. I saw it happen in my dream or fantasy or whatever that was yesterday, and I want to compare notes on what it's really like," he says as he finishes lacing up his running shoes.

We head down to breakfast together and both of us scarf down some fruit and oatmeal before meeting up with the others on the training grounds. I notice a lot of curious looks as we approach where they are gathered. Everyone saw him the other day before the holiday feast, but I guess no one expected him to show up to train with us. Thankfully, most people seem receptive to it, though a few worry whether it will affect our training if we have to make concessions for a human.

"Tyler will be paired with Aly, and the rest of you will stick to the normal activities," Dad informs us in answer.

After finishing his morning routine of announcing assignments and reminding everyone of upcoming events of note on the schedule, he pulls us away from the group.

"I want you to spar with him for a bit so I can observe and make notes," he instructs.

"We do this all the time at the gym," Tyler remarks, and my dad smirks at him.

I can tell he feels confident, and I hate to have to break it to him.

"No, we don't. We spar like humans at the gym. You're on my turf now, Jenkins," I add playfully, which makes him grin.

"Bring it," he says tauntingly.

I hear Dad chuckle. He seems to be warming up to Tyler and even coming to appreciate him to an extent. I wonder if he can see, though, that Tyler isn't as cocky as he can come off to people who don't know him. He jokes and plays around, which I think helps make difficult situations easier for him. I can tell he knows he is about to receive quite a beating. I also know he is open to it, and even welcomes it, because he wants to learn. I hope that's what my dad sees, too.

After the first couple rounds of me pressing the attack and him scrambling just to defend, he seems to recover from being surprised by my true strength. I'm still holding back, but only slightly. I know he got a taste of what it's like to be a completely unprepared human facing off with a werewolf, and I do genuinely want to help him learn how to maneuver that sort of situation better.

Eventually, he starts getting in some hits of his own, and by the time Dad calls an end to it, he has landed some that I think might actually bruise before they heal.

"I want to shift so he can meet my wolf and get a sense of what sparring with that form can be like," I tell Dad.

"Alright, that seems like a good idea. Nothing too intense, though," he warns.

"Of course not," I agree, that having been my intent all along. Mostly, I just want to see his reaction to seeing me shift and find out what he thinks of Mari.