Chapter 91: The Elders' Decision

*** Alyssa's POV ***

"Last chance if you're hoping to stow away on our plane," I teasingly remind Ronnie, who is sitting at her desk watching me pack up the last few things from my closet in our dorm room.

It's Friday, and I'm skipping out on girls' night yet again for what I think is the third week in a row. My mates and I will be heading to the airport within the hour to fly back to New Horizon tonight so that we'll be ready to face the Elders tomorrow. I know it's a longshot, but I felt the need to remind Ronnie that she's always welcome there. Besides, she has a mate back there waiting for even the smallest sign that she's still interested.

"Why would I do that?" Ronnie wonders, crinkling her nose at the thought of it.

She's probably picturing herself tucked in between all the crates and kennels in the cargo area or something. She's small enough, though, that we could probably zip her into a suitcase and stow her with the luggage. I can't help imagining what that would look like and have to suppress a giggle so I won't have to explain myself. I don't think she'd be amused.

"If I did want to go, why wouldn't I just buy a ticket like a normal person?" she questions further.

"Aww, Ronnie. You know I'm just playing, right?" I ask her, just in case she's taking me seriously. "Not about you being welcome to come, because you are, but about the sneaking you on? I'd buy you a ticket, of course. Although, it would be fun to see if you'd fit in my suitcase."

I can't help adding that in there, after all.

She rolls her eyes at me, fighting back a smile she doesn't seem to want to reward my silly humor with.

"I know, but definitely stop picturing me squished into your suitcase. That's never happening, not even as a joke," she tells me with mock sternness. "I just don't want to go is all. I do hope it all goes well for you and I would love to be there to see it in person, if it weren't for ... well, you know. I don't think I can handle seeing him again so soon."

"So soon? It's been months, and he's come a long way with learning to handle his wolf. I don't think there will ever be a repeat of what happened in the library."

"I know, but that's not even what I'm worried about. Just imagine what it will do to him if I come back. He told me last time he could barely stand sleeping under the same roof as me because he could smell me all throughout the house. And if I go back knowing what I am to him, he might take it as a sign that I'm accepting it all, but I'm not ready for that. I don't want to toy with him like that either, though."

That's actually a pretty considerate and well-thought-out response to the situation. I can't even argue with her logic because she's probably right about all of it. I remember what it was like sleeping so near to Matt and smelling his scent everywhere when I couldn't have him yet, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Plus, she's probably spot-on about how Jason will interpret it if she comes back. It will give him false hope if nothing has changed on her end.

"That's really thoughtful, Ronnie," I applaud her sincerely. "I hadn't considered any of that, but I think you're right about all of it. I just wanted my friend to come with me, especially since you did so much work to get us here, but you're right that we have to consider Jason too."

"I'll be cheering you on from right here, and I expect at least a text as soon as you know anything," she demands, rising from her chair to throw herself at me for a hug.

I'm a bit stunned because I think it might be the first time she has approached me for a hug. Usually, I throw myself at her and she just lets me. I'm moved enough by her gesture that it almost brings me to tears.