Chapter 38: Road Trip Trio

*** Alyssa's POV ***

Finals week isn't the nightmare everyone has been making it out to be, at least not for me. I don't stress over academics the way everyone else seems to, and I don't really study. I finish the final assignments Sunday, and then after that I kind of just cruise through the rest of the week. I find it to be easier than normal weeks because it's just tests, and once you finish them, you're free to go.

I get it, though, why a lot of people don't look at it the same way I do. Ronnie, for instance, I'm pretty sure actually enjoys homework and studying. It seems to be her favorite pastime, and she loves note cards and post-it notes. Matt, I think just stresses about everything and studying through his every free moment helps him combat the anxiety. I'm sure he would have done fine without all that, but there's no convincing his brain of it.

Trevor is like Ronnie and has a whole system that you should never interrupt if you know what's good for you, but the real surprise is Tyler. He has seemed as nonchalant about school as I am, with the exception of his class with Izzy, but I'm shocked when he turns down every offer I make to hang out during finals week so that he can study. I can't relate to it, but I do support it. I turn my attention instead to making sure all my friends eat occasionally, picking up take-out and playing delivery girl twice a day until we all make it out the other end of finals week.

And then it's time to pack up and go home until the next semester starts after the new year. Though I'm glad to be getting an extended break from the schoolwork, I have gotten used to having my friends nearby so that I can go visit anytime I want, and it hits me pretty hard that we're going to be in different states for a while. It seems to hit Tyler just as much, so it comes as no surprise to me that he doesn't want to let me go when I stop at the guys' apartment before I leave for home.

"I've decided that you're not leaving me," Tyler informs me with a smirk. The smirk is familiar; the desperate look in his eyes is not.

"It's only for a little while. I'll come visit you in about a week like we planned," I remind him.

"Nope, new plan. You take me with you now, and we'll both go visit my mom in about a week."

"Alright then. Fine by me, as long as you're packed and ready to go in about five minutes, which is when I'm leaving."

He grins, the relief apparent in how his body relaxes. He reaches for me, pulling me in for a bear hug, then pulls back and plants a sloppy kiss on my forehead. I find the whole exchange to be interesting. He acts like he can't bear the thought of being away from me, and I realize that I'm relieved too.

I toss him my keys so he can load his stuff in my car and then head down the hall to track down Matt and Trevor. I find them both in Trevor's room packing up a rolling duffel.

"Hey, guys," I greet them. They look up at me at the same time with the same surprised expression on their faces, and it makes me giggle.

"You and Tyler heading out?" Trevor asks me, turning his attention back to rolling up a t-shirt. I guess he knew about Tyler's plan before I did.

Matt keeps his gaze on me, so I make my way to him and sit beside him on the bed. "Yeah, I told him a minute ago that we're out of here in five."

"So, four then," Trevor smirks, and I can't help but chuckle.

"Just wanted to say goodbye. I'll miss you guys," I tell them, adding a pout to the last part.

Matt puts his arm around me and pulls me close, like any closer and I'd be in his lap close, and I put both my arms around him and lean on his shoulder.