Chapter 43: Her Two Mates (Part II)

*** Tyler's POV ***

I can tell Aly is worried about her dad with Matt so I try to console her as best as I can, pulling her against me and rubbing up and down her arms.

"He'll be okay," I assure her. "Your dad was good to me when he took me for a tour, and he didn't even like me then."

She rolls her face around on my shoulder, moaning in frustration. "Yeah, but Matt is already on edge. What if he has another panic attack?"

I take one of my hands and wrap it around the back of her head, gently pushing it against my shoulder more securely so that she can't move it like that. I've noticed with her that if I gently still her restless body parts, sometimes that helps her calm down.

"Then your dad will take care of him. He's a good guy, Aly. You know that."

"But so is Matt," she sighs. "I just hope my dad can see that and see past the nerves and anxiety. He's sensitive, but that doesn't mean he's weak."

"I think he already likes him. He doesn't glare at him the way he used to do to me."

"True," she laughs. "And hopefully he'll accept you more now that ..." she breaks off what she was saying, pulling her head away from my shoulder and looking up at me.

"So, I have to tell you something. I was going to wait for Matt, but maybe it's better if I don't. I can tell him privately when he's ready."

"Okay, tell me what? What your dad told you?"

"Yeah, exactly," she grins at me. "Guess what!"

I can't help laughing at how excited she is, especially considering how worried she was seconds ago. "What, babe? More chocolate?"

"No," she laughs, shaking her head at my stupid joke.

I grin back at her and wait for her to tell me more.

"He told me that the Elders think that you and Matt are both my mates. I don't know why they think that or how it's even possible, but I'm excited about it anyway. You're my mate! Just like you always wanted!"

"For real?" I ask, and she nods, still grinning.

I feel a rush of excitement surge through me and I have her lifted into my arms and start spinning her around without really even thinking about it.

I don't understand it either, but it must have something to do with their tests they gave me for the trials. They found something in my brain, maybe. Who knows. I don't really care, though. She's right. It's what I wanted.

And then right there in the middle of the rec room where anyone could walk in and see us at any moment, I kiss her. I can't help myself. I have to. And just like always, it feels incredible and I have a hard time breaking away from her because I don't want to go back to not being physically connected to her.

But then I realize that she didn't say I'm her mate, she said I'm one of her mates. Matt is still her mate. Wait, what?

I pull away suddenly, confused. "Aly, how does that work? How do we both be your mates? Is it like a polygamy thing? You have relationships with both of us?"

"Yeah, basically," she confirms with a shrug. "I was already leaning that way anyway. I want you, but I also want him. I don't want to have to choose. Originally, I was thinking of marking him but being with you both, but only because usually you can only have one official mate and only mark one person. Mari was insisting that it be her true mate. I have no idea if that changes now that you're both my true mates, but Dad said that eventually the Elders are sending someone to explain it all and tell us their decision about you. So, I don't have all the details, but yes, I want a relationship with both of you. How would you feel about that?"