Chapter 49: Denied

*** Alyssa's POV ***

A few hours later, my dad summons us to his office, presumably to meet with Elder Norissa. Matt is a bundle of nerves, as expected, but the real surprise is Tyler, who is outwardly jittery and nervous for the first time that I've seen. I'm more used to seeing him playing brave when he's nervous, but this time it seems to be getting to him as much as us.

"Guys, stop," I say quietly just before we make it to the door of my dad's office. I tug on their hands to stop them in their tracks so we can chat for a minute before we go in.

I pull each of their hands toward my face, resting them against my cheeks. "I just need to tell you something. I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous too, but I can feel that the two of you are downright scared, and I just want you to know there's nothing to be scared of. Nothing on the other side of that door can hurt us."

"What if the answer is no," Tyler worries. "I just have this feeling, from how your dad was acting earlier when he found out about Matt's dad. They're going to say no."

"Then they say no. But my answer will still be yes," I promise. "They'll only be saying no to me if that's the way this goes. They'll say no, I can't take you as my mates and still be Alpha, but there are almost no rules about who I can mate with and still be a normal member of this pack. It'll be okay."

I say that, taking my turn playing brave like Tyler normally does, but the truth is that outcome would be pretty devastating. I've spent my entire life preparing to take over as Alpha. A decision like that would leave me reeling. I also mean what I say, though. Even if taking them as my mates means giving up on that, I still want them above all else.

Tyler sighs, bringing his forehead down to meet mine. "Okay. Let's just take this a step at a time, see what they say and then decide what to do next. No final decisions yet."

Matt stays quiet but forces a brave smile when I look at him. I feel bad for the emotional rollercoaster he has been on for weeks straight, ever since we left campus, and even before that. The poor guy can't catch a break.

I feel him wind his fingers in my hair as he leans in to kiss my forehead, and Tyler squeezes my hand. Since no one seems to have anything else to say, he turns and leads us to my dad's office door.

I'm surprised by how many people are already inside once he opens the door. In addition to Elder Norissa, Elder Gerard has returned along with another Elder I've never met before. They are seated in chairs across from the sofa, and my parents are on either side of them in their own seats. The couch is available, so the guys and I quietly make our way inside and sit there. Though I can tell the others notice us come in, they continue with their conversation.

"I'm sorry, but I can't really speak on that," Elder Gerard is telling my dad. "When it comes to things like that, I'm just a pack member. That's all up to the Alpha unless it is specifically brought before the Elders. And considering that it would involve my pack in this case, I would have to sit it out anyway."

"I see. I figured as much," Dad responds, turning his attention to us. "And it's not really why we're here today anyway."

"Yes," My mom agrees, grabbing my attention. "Aly, you probably remember Elders Gerard and Norissa from when they were here before." She gestures to them respectively. "And on the end there is Elder Stirling, who I don't think you have met yet."

I stand and make my way to shake all their hands politely. Elder Stirling is interesting. I realize when I get up close to him that he is extremely old. Werewolves don't acquire that many wrinkles until it is getting to be quite late in their lives.