Chapter 95: Time for Change

*** Alyssa's POV ***

"I think it's about time we have that chat, Aly girl," my dad pokes his head into the kitchen where I've been enjoying hanging out with Henny and helping her get things ready for dinner later.

It's Monday, only two days since Matt and Tyler's commencement ceremony and only one day since we've been back in the pack territory, for good this time. I'd complain about my dad rushing things, but he's not. The plans are already in motion, and both my mating ceremony and the Alpha succession ceremony are set for this upcoming Saturday. With that in mind, he's already given us about as much time and space to get unpacked and settled in as he can allow.

"Grab your mates and Ryan and Mindy and meet me in my office as soon as you can," he continues giving me his instructions for our meeting. "If you happen to know who you plan to appoint as your Gamma and Delta, invite them as well. Gamma has traditionally gone to the eldest Levitt of the next generation, but that's entirely up to you. As for Delta, I have no specific recommendations. Percy never had any children, so there's no one who's been prepared or trained for it."

"Brian Levitt would be the natural choice for Gamma, but I've heard him express interest in taking over for his uncle as pack trainer, so I was thinking Jason for Gamma. I know he's young and still mastering control of his wolf, but we could use him in a place of power for our formations," I point out to my dad, hoping he'll offer his thoughts.

He makes a point of coming fully into the room instead of continuing to linger in the doorway like he had been, thinking it over for a moment.

"Honestly, it will be good for Finn to experience some responsibility," Dad agrees with me when he speaks again. "He's a proud wolf and responds well to recognition and encouragement, so I can't find any fault with that plan, other than advising you to check with Brian first before just assuming what he wants. I know his father is expecting him to receive the nod."

"I'm on it," I assure him, intending to make that my next stop before fetching my mates. "What do you think of Devon for Delta? I know it's a nontraditional choice, but I feel like he's earned it."

Devon is the oldest son of a large family headed by two rather petite omega parents. His mother is a nurse, and his father is part of the landscaping crew. Most of his siblings are small like their parents, seeming to be drawn to career paths and pack roles that are more intellectual than physical, but Devon is the odd one of the bunch. He's not particularly tall, but his features are broad and strong. His time away with us at college only solidified my opinion of him, which was pretty stellar already from the years I've spent training with and getting to know him.

"If I'm being completely honest, he's who I hoped you would pick," my dad admits with a mischievous smirk. "It may have been partly my plan when I decided not only to send him with your guard teams at school, but to appoint him the leader. I was hoping he'd rise to the challenge and show you exactly who your best choice for Delta is, and he seems to have done exactly that."

"I'm not even mad," I tell him, wondering how I didn't figure that out already. "In fact, I'm glad you gave us both the opportunity to figure that out so I can make this decision confidently, knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt who I should choose."

"Good. Now go choose them," he prompts me to action, gesturing with his hands in a sweeping motion as if he's shooing me out the door.

It's about an hour later when we're finally all gathered in my dad's office. Mindy, Ryan, Tyler, and Matt are all here along with Jason and Devon, who both seemed stunned when I visited to give them the news. Devon accepted my offer immediately, but Jason was more hesitant. I know it's Ronnie and school on his mind, and I'm aware that he had hoped to be given leave to join her once I become Alpha, but I can't do that right now.