Chapter 89: The Teacher's Assistant

*** Matt's POV ***

Tuesday after my morning classes, I have a meeting with the lawyer my parents hired for me. Because our family attorney is in another state and isn't licensed to practice here, he can't help me with this, but he did recommend this guy. Though I've been stressing about this whole situation with Jess since Saturday, I do trust that the family lawyer has my best interest in mind, and I do feel better after meeting the guy he referred me to.

He seemed quite knowledgeable and confidently assured me that petty lawsuits like this usually come from someone hoping their ex will just cave and do whatever is asked, but they tend to go away before ever making it to court. I can't argue with what he was saying about most people not wanting to air their dirty laundry for the public record – I can't imagine Jess wanting her unfaithfulness to be on paper.

Hopefully, he's right about her losing steam before it ever goes anywhere. Chances are she just wanted to make a last-ditch effort to force me to take her back, and I wouldn't even be surprised if it's because she hasn't cancelled the wedding plans her family was responsible for. But even if she does plan to go forward with it, my lawyer made it seem like the ring being a family heirloom and Jess sharing fault in the break-up are two factors that will be favorable for me. But if she wants to fight over it, I'm prepared to fight. My lawyer will be contacting hers to inform her of exactly that, which I'm guessing she didn't expect from me.

Aly meets me outside his office with a giant to-go coffee, as if she knows exactly what I need after days of sleepless nights. We're headed to the high school for my student teaching classes next, so I need something to help give me a little boost. High schoolers drain an incredible amount of energy from me some days, and I'm already about running on empty.

After thrusting the cardboard cup into my hand and leaning up to give me a much-needed kiss, she says, "Well, you're smiling, so I'm guessing that means it went well in there."

I widen my smile and throw an arm around her, leading her away from the lawyer's office as I inhale the coffee she brought for me.

"Yeah, he basically confirmed everything Tyler dug up in his internet search, which is good news in my mind."

That was Tyler's tactic to try to get me to calm down Sunday, searching the web for advice about what to do in my situation. It was somewhat reassuring, but it wasn't until I heard it from a professional that I found myself able to finally accept that everything will be okay and allow myself to exhale.

"My mind agrees," she teases in response.

We've reached my van in the parking lot, and my coffee is completely drained so I toss the empty cup in the bin near us before loading up to head to the school.

It has become a familiar and comforting routine having Aly come with me to my high school classes. We know it's a risk at this point since the guise of her being here to complete her observations only makes sense if she's visiting different classes and stops coming once she meets her required hours, which aren't that many, but no one really seems to care enough to be paying that much attention.

That is, of course, until today. I've worried that my supervising teacher might be catching on for a bit now, and for good reason, apparently. He pulls her aside almost as soon as we get there and takes her into his office just beyond the classroom. Fortunately, my finely tuned and oversensitive werewolf hearing allows me to listen in on what they're saying.

"Miss Bentley, I can't help noticing that you always seem to be hanging out in my class. Aren't there any others you're supposed to be visiting?" he questions her behind the closed door.