68

VERONICA MALFOY

"Draco, please talk to me." I said. I had walked into the music room and he was just sitting at the piano staring at the keys. He just shook his head and stood up to leave. I blocked his path.

"Draco!" I yelled. "What! What do you want, Ronnie?" he snapped. "I want you to tell me what the fuck happened. How did Ron end up poisoned?" I asked. "It doesn't matter," he said. "It does! First Katie Bell, now Ron Weasley." I yelled. He tried to push past me but I stayed put. "I hate that Weasel just as much as you but that's irrelevant. You almost killed an innocent person, again!" I exclaimed. He just scoffed. I could see the anger in his eyes.

"None of us are innocent Veronica, you of all people should know that." he said. "I know you are scared, I am too. Just let me help. Or Mattheo. You can't afford any more mistakes." I said. "The only mistake I made was trusting some bloody idiots to do this job. I know what I have to do." he said. I exhaled a shaky breath and stared at him. "And what's that?" I asked. "I'm going to kill him myself," he said. Then he pushed past me.

"Draco, please! You don't have to-" I started as I ran to stop him. He grabbed my throat and held me against the door. "I do! I do have to do this because if I don't, it won't just be my head. It will be yours and mums and everyone else I care about. So if I have to drench myself in blood to save you all, I will." he yelled. I slowly lifted my wand and pressed it into his wrist.

"Let go of me Draco." I said calmly. It was like a switch flipped and his eyes softened. He immediately let go and stepped back. "Ronnie- I- I'm so- I'm sorry" he said. I nodded.

"I know you want to protect me and I love you for that. I can't let you give up your soul to save mine. And I only want to survive if I deserve to." I said. He looked sad. "Ok." he said softly.

TIME JUMP: 1 WEEK

"How are you feeling?" I asked Mattheo as I laid with him in bed. He smiled. "I told you I'm fine. I thought I proved that to you last night when we-" he started. "Yes, ok. Fine. I got it." I said laughing. He kissed me and I got up. Classes had ended for the day and I just went to check on Mattheo. Now it was off to dinner. "Do you want me to bring you back anything?" I asked. He shook his head. "No, just come back after you finish." he said, smirking. I smiled. "Fine." I said.

I got to the Great Hall and it was tense when I sat down. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Draco is-" Allison started. "He's fine." Blaise said. "What if he's not?" Allison said. "What are you all talking about?" I asked. "Katie Bell came back today. When Draco walked in and saw her, he walked straight back out." Blaise said. My veins iced and my face paled. "Fuck" I muttered. "I'm going to go find him." I said. They nodded. I walked out and headed for the music room.

I passed the abandoned Boys bathroom when I heard it. The shattering of glass. I ran inside and the floor was flooding. "Draco!" I yelled. I drew my wand and walked towards the sound of heavy breathing. "Draco!" I yelled. There was more and more water and then I felt him.

Harry grabbed me and tried to pull me back. "Veronica, please- I didn't mean to. You can't see-" he stammered. "What are you talking about? Where's Draco?" I asked. I pushed him away and ran towards the water. Then I froze. Laying in the middle of the room, bleeding from huge gashes across his body, soaking wet and fading quickly, my brother. "Draco!" I cried out.

I dropped to my knees next to him and I was getting soaking wet. I pulled him into my arms and his head rested on my legs. "Draco, open your eyes! Don't you dare leave me!" I yelled. "Veronica, I- I'm sorry. I didn't m- mean to." Harry said. "What did you do?" I sobbed. I moved some wet hair from my brother's face and held the gashes. I didn't even know how there was so much blood. "Better this way," Draco said weakly. I shook my head. "No!" I yelled. "I don't want to be a killer," he said quietly. "We will figure it out. Just like always. You can't leave me. What about Allison?" I said. "Veronica, please! I'm sorry, just-" Harry started. "Go get help!" I yelled.

He disappeared and reappeared a moment later with Snape, Allison, and Blaise. "Sev, help him! Please!" I begged. "Step back Veronica," he said. Blaise pulled me back and held me. I watched Snape perform a spell and the blood went back into his body. I dropped back down next to Draco and held his hand. "You're ok. You'll be ok." I whispered. He nodded. "Sorry Ronnie" he whispered. Madame Pomfrey came in and put him on a stretcher. Snape, and Allison followed them out. I stood up and Harry looked at me. I exhaled a shaky breath and faced him.