60

TIME JUMP: 2 WEEKS

VERONICA MALFOY

"So you think it was just a coincidence he was there and she was cursed?" Hermione said. Harry, Ron and Hermione were all sitting in the Great Hall before the quidditch game. I walked over to wish them good luck when I heard it. I sat next to Harry and smiled.

"Who was cursed?" I asked with concern. Ron and Hermione gave each other looks of distrust. "Katie Bell." Harry said. "Mate-" Ron said. "Is she alright?" I asked. I was more concerned about who the he was in Hermione's sentence. "She'll be ok, it's just-" Harry started. "What?" I asked.

He took my hand and pulled me outside. "What?!" I exclaimed. "Your brother was there," he said. Fuck. "So?" I said. "So Ron and Mione think-" he started. "And you?" I asked. He looked confused. "What do you think?" I asked. "Veronica, you have to admit, it's strange-" he started. "Harry, I told you. I am the death eater, not Draco. Ok, you don't understand how this stuff works. He isn't going around cursing people. If the dark lord found out he was doing something he wasn't told to do, he would be tortured and so would I. I trust you, Don't you trust me?" I asked, taking his hand. He nodded. "I do. If you say it wasn't him, I believe you." he said. "I love you Harry." I said. He smiled. "I love you too. Are you coming to quidditch?" he asked. "Of course." I said. I gave him a kiss and he headed off. I wish he would stop smiling at me. I can't get this fucking pit out of my stomach. I'm a death eater. I love Mattheo.

I will not be the fool who chooses what's right over blood. I won't because in the end, it won't matter. There will be people who survive and there will be people who don't. But there will be no winners.
That's the way it is, nobody wins a war. Ever.

All I can do is make sure I make it to the other side with Draco and Mattheo, that's all I want.

Later that night, I went to find Draco. I went to the music room and he wasn't there. So when I went to the Astronomy Tower and saw him standing, looking out over the edge, at that moment, I knew how he was feeling. I felt it too, all the time.

I waved my wand and put up barriers

I waved my wand and put up barriers. He turned around and saw me. "I wasn't going to jump," he said as he turned around. "Did you do it?" I asked as I stood next to him. He looked at me and his eyes were red and puffy. There were dark circles to show he hadn't been sleeping. "Draco, tell me the truth. Was it you who cursed Katie Bell?" I asked.

"Yes," he said. I sighed. "Fucking hell. Will she remember it was you?" I asked. He shook his head. "No. She won't know it was me." he said. I nodded and held his hand. "Please, please be more careful. I can't lose you." I said. He forced a smile and nodded. "We'll be ok," he said.

No, we won't. We won't ever be ok again.

TIME JUMP: 2 WEEKS

Stupid Slug Club. This is pathetic. "You look great! Doesn't she, boys?" Allison said. She was helping me get ready for Slughorn's Christmas Party. Being Harry's girlfriend, I had to go. Enzo nodded while he smoked. "Yeah, you look hot. " Theo said. "Yeah, cleavage is one way to keep Potter's attention." Blaise said with a smirk. "Oh go to hell Blaise, this is so stupid." I said. "It might be fun." she said. I rolled my eyes. " My brother has to fix a stupid cabinet and kill our headmaster. I'm fucking Harry Potter and I'm a death eater. A christmas party is literally the biggest waste of time." I said. "With all that going on, don't you think you deserve one night of actual fun?" Blaise said. I sat down and started putting on my heels. "Maybe he's right V, shouldn't you at least try to enjoy yourself?" Allison said. "If I was drunk, maybe I could." I said.

" I said

The party was as bad as I expected

The party was as bad as I expected. The worst part, as much as I hate to admit it, Harry and I were having fun. He made me laugh and I didn't have to be a certain person with him. Even around my friends, I had to be this sophisticated leader who showed no weakness. With Harry, I didn't have to do that. It was fun and I could let loose a bit. And that just made everything harder.

Then there was a commotion. Me and Harry went over and my face paled. Filch was holding my brother's collar. "What is your brother doing here?" Harry whispered. "I don't know-" I said.

Then Snape came over. He escorted him out and when I turned around, Harry was gone too. I went to follow them and I saw Harry leaning against a wall. I looked and he was listening to a conversation between Snape and my brother. "You don't trust me, do you?" I said. He jumped and turned around. "It's not that-" he started. "Then why? Why are you following them? I told you-" I started. He pulled me down the hallway and into an empty classroom.

"Why does Snape have an unbreakable vow with your family?" he asked. My face dropped. That's a good question. I better come up with something. "He's my Godfather. He made one when we were born. I'm not sure of the specifics of it. I just know it exists." I said. "Really?" he asked. "Harry, I've told you everything. I continue to tell you everything. The only one of us that keeps secrets is you." I said. His face fell and I turned to leave. "Wait! Veronica!" he called out.

"I'm sorry," he said. I nodded. "I know. It's just hard- I'm afraid I'm going to lose you." I said. He chuckled. "Veronica, you won't lose me," he said. "But- I'm not good for you, Harry. I'm a bad person. I'm gonna have to do bad things. Why me?" I asked. "You aren't a bad person. And I love you. That's it. I love you, ok?" he said. He pressed his lips to mine and I held him.