weekends

timothée's pov

I help put on my four year old daughter's backpack. I straighten out her wrinkled little dress and she looks down at her shoes.

"What's wrong?" I ask, pushing away her small and messy strands of hair.

"I don't want to go." she pouts.

I sigh. "I don't want you to go either, but you have to."

"No!"

"Y/d/n-" I say, but am cut off by her screaming, stomping, jumping, and crying.

I stand up, shaking my head in instant frustration and resting my hands on my hips.

The only thing I can hear over all her noise is the ring of my doorbell. I practically run over to the front door and open it up.

"Hi." she says.

"Hi."

She looks behind me. "Another meltdown?"

I nod, motioning her to come in. "Yeah."

She walks in and I close the door behind her. My house goes silent and we walk back over to my living room.

Y/d/n is sitting on the floor, still crying with her backpack practically weighing her over into a hunched position.

Y/n sets down her purse on the couch and sits in front of her as I lean against the wall.

"Why are you crying?" she whispers.

"I want to stay here." our daughter says.

Y/n slides off her backpack, tossing it onto the couch next to her purse and stands up.

"Can we talk? Alone." she looks at me.

I nod and we go to my bedroom and close the door behind us.

"I don't know what to do anymore," her voice trembles "she always wants to stay with you. When she comes home with me, God, it's like she hates me or something."

"Don't say that."

"You don't know what it feels like." she wipes her eyes. "Everywhere we go and everything we do, she'd rather have you there instead."

"Y/n, she's four. She doesn't say that on purpose, she doesn't even mean all that. And she doesn't hate you, she never would."

She sighs. "Well, it feels like it."

"You have to take her back either way," I say "do you want me to talk to her?"

She shakes her head. "I won't take her back this weekend, she can stay with you."

"But the court order says-"

"Fuck the court order, Timothée," she scoffs "we got divorced and still get along for the sake of our child. If she wants to stay with you longer, I'm letting her. If you can't keep her for that time, I'll take her back with me."

Y/n and I got divorced almost two years ago. We were together for 8 years, married almost four.

Too many things piled onto us both and we decided it'd be better off if we'd just went our separate ways.

Because we had our daughter during our marriage, we had to go to family court and get a custody agreement settled and worked out.

Y/n has full custody of our daughter. I get approved visitations and get to have y/d/n with me every weekend when I'm off and in town.

It's been working out well. But y/d/n almost never wants to leave. She cries every time she has to, having a meltdown like the one just now.

She's a daddy's girl, we've always been close. I always let her know that I love her and I'll be there even when I can't because sometimes I do really have to go away for work.

I nod. "I can keep her, just tell me when you'll pick her up again."

"Great," she wipes her eyes once again "I will. I'm going to go back home and get her some more clothes then come back to drop it off, okay?"

"Okay." I say and we walk out of my room.

Y/d/n is still on the floor, playing with the doll she had brought with her this weekend.

Y/n sits on the floor again. "You're going to stay here a little longer this weekend, is that okay?"

Y/d/n nods, smiling. "Yes!"

"Have fun with your Dad." y/n half smiles.

"I will!" our daughter exclaims.

I feel a bit somber as y/n hugs her tightly, giving her a kiss to the cheek with a sniffle. They exchange short 'I love yous' and y/n leaves after giving me a one worded goodbye.

"It's just you and me booger." I pick my daughter up and put her on the couch, making her laugh.

She lays close to me and I turn on the TV, putting on a Disney movie. Soon enough she's asleep and relaxed in my arms.

A/N: not sure abt this one! Based off true events of myself & my parents 🥲