Chapter 6

The next morning, my back was aching since I fell asleep on the couch. I sat u and grabbed my phone to check the time; 11 AM. I also had one message from an unknown number; I pressed the “Open” button.

Morning lazy ass, want to go grab some breakfast to catch up? –Harry

I smiled and texted him back

Sure, IHOP in 20 minutes? –Emily

Okay, can’t wait. And don’t be late Em! Lol –Harry

I raced to my bedroom and searched through my closet for an outfit. I was really glad that Harry was back in my life. Whether he was my friend or my boyfriend; I needed him in my life. 

 After 20 minutes precisely I was in IHOP looking for Harry. I found him sitting on a table in the corner.

“Morning, beautiful” he said giving me a friendly hug.

“Morning? It’s more like noon right now”

“That’s because someone sleeps too much” I gave him a sarcastic laugh and scanned the menu. I wasn’t really in the mood to eat, so I just ordered a cup of hot chocolate.

“So, how have you been doing Emily?” he asked.

“I’ve been good. I’m actually job hunting right now. What about you?”

“Oh, you know; same old same old”

“Same old? Who knew the lead singer from White Eskimo would be an international superstar?” he laughed lightly.

“It’s been so long since I’ve last seen those guys.”

“They’re all very proud of you”

“How do you know that?”

“I went back to Holmes Chapel for a few days last month”

“Oh” he said. We were silent for a couple of minutes.

“How’s Kaylee?” I asked out of the blue.

“She’s, um, good” he said scratching his neck “We kind of broke up this morning”

“Shit…Harry I’m so sorry—“

“No it’s fine, I actually broke up with her, and not the other way around” he said giving me a sweet grin “All of my relationships these days last for only 2 weeks or so” I didn’t know how to respond to that so I just nodded my head “Well what about you?”

“What about me?” I asked

“Like tell me about the relationships you’ve had since last year”

“Um, I’ve been in a few, but only one of them was serious. It was with this guy called Scott”

“Oh” there was silence again. Well this was awkward.

HARRY’S POV:

 She fidgeted in her seat and started tugging on her sleeve. I couldn’t help but stare; I’d never thought I’d see her again. She looked almost the same, but more mature and much prettier. I thought she couldn’t get more beautiful back in Holmes Chapel, but it seems like her beauty increases each and every day.

“You should come to one of our concerts sometime” I told her.

“Yeah” she said smiling “Maybe I will” she started laughing after a few seconds.

“What?” I asked puzzled.

“Nothing” she said “It’s just that I thought of when I first saw you performing Summer of 69”

“Oh god” I said “That must have been like over two years ago. Remember that one time we almost got arrested?”

“Oh god, how could I forget? You wanted to go skinny dipping in the lake, but before you could the sheriff showed up”

I laughed a bit too loudly which cause half of the people in the restaurant to look at us as if we were crazy “You were so scared, you were shuddering because you were SO terrified”

Her laugh was the same as I remember. The Emily laugh was the same. We spent the rest of our breakfast talking about that summer. When the check came, I pulled out my wallet to pay when I found her reaching out for my wallet and grabbing it. I was confused at first, but then I remembered what I had hidden in there.

“I can’t believe you still have this” Crap.

EMILY’S POV:

 As Harry took out his wallet to pay, something in there caught my eye. I grabbed the wallet from his hand and pulled it out.

“I can’t believe you still have this!” I said holding up the baby picture of me I gave him in my hand. She giggled lightly before handing it back to me.

“I didn’t have the heart to get rid of it” I told her putting it back where it belonged.

“Well to be fair…” she said pulling out her own wallet and showed him the baby picture of him he gave me a while back.

He looked at it and smiled at me. “I also still have this as well” I gave him a an old picture of us back when we were dating. It was from a photo booth at the mall. In the first picture, we were both making the silliest faces, in the second we smiled normally, in the third Harry was looking at me and grinning, and in the fourth, his lips were pressed against mine as I smiled.

“I can’t believe you kept this all this time” he said.

“Well like you said; I didn’t have the heart to get rid of it” He looked at me with a blank expression, his eyes looking into mine.

“Emily, I need to tell you something” I held my breath, listening to what he was about to say.