Chapter 31

I sat on a chair next to the hospital bed Harry was sleeping on. The management wouldn’t allow the boys to sleep in the hospital with us, so they had to leave (after several arguments of course). It’s been three hours and he still hasn’t woken up. I sat in the hospital room with a dim light, watching Harry as he slept peacefully. His ankle was broken and the sight of it wasn’t pretty at all. A huge cast was wrapped around his foot which was slightly lifted up in the air.

  I had my iPod on low volume, and my song choice wasn’t really helping me to lighten up my mood. ‘but now I’ll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes, all that I know is I don’t know how to be something you miss, never thought we’d have a last kiss, never imagined we’d end like this, your name forever the name on my lips’ because I love your handshake, meeting my father, I love how you walk with your hands in your pockets, how you kissed me when I was in the middle of saying something, there’s not a day I don’t miss those rude interruptions’ I ran the back of my hand along his jaw line gently, careful not to wake him up. His chest rose slowly as he breathed. What if I forgave Harry and we get back together? Things would be so much easier. But what if he didn’t want me back? What if he’s back to his flirty self and likes the fact that he got his single-guy life back?

  My train of thoughts was interrupted when my phone rang. I quickly reached it out of the bag and answered it.

  “Hello?” I quietly answered.

  “Emily” Joseph said “It’s me”

  “Oh, hey” I replied standing up and walking towards the window.

  “Why haven’t you called me back? Or at least checked up on me after you ditched me at the concert?”

  “I’m sorry, things have just been…crazy the past four hours”

  “Well I’d like to know where we stand after tonight” he demanded angrily. I bit my lip thinking of how to phrase my next sentence.

  “Joseph” I began “I…I don’t know how to tell you this…”

  “You want to break up, don’t you?” he asked with sadness in his voice.

  “I’m sorry” I told him “But it just wouldn’t be fair to any of us. Seeing Harry tonight…I don’t know, it just changed everything. Plus, I’m going back to London. Paris just isn’t the place for me.”

  “I just wish you could’ve loved me the way you love him and the way I love you” he sighed.

  “I wish I could too. I’m sorry”

  “It’s not your fault” he finally said “Take care of yourself, Em”

  “You too” I answered before he hung up the line.

  “Em” I heard Harry whisper. I quickly turned around and sat next to his bed, resting my hand on top of his.

  “Haz” I said, smiling wearily “How are you feeling? Should I call the nurse?”

  “No” he said, stopping me from calling the doctor “I’m fine.” I sat back down on the chair with my eyes locked on his tired face. Black sacks lingered beneath his eyes, and his mouth was slightly open as he inhaled and exhaled weakly. His fingers intertwined with mine as our fingers toyed around with each other lightly. My eyes were fixed on his partially opened eyes. His green orbs radiated with colors as I lost myself in them “You’re coming back to London?” he asked wearily as I realized he’d heard the whole thing (including the break-up with Joseph), barely able to speak. I nodded my head slowly with a partial smile “It’s almost 12, don’t you want to go home?” he asked.

  “I’m spending the night here”

  “Well where are you going to sleep?”

  “I don’t know” I said looking around “The chair I guess?”

  “You’re mental, aren’t you?” he asked with a frown forming on his face “You can’t spend the night on a chair”

  “I can manage” I said laughing.

  “Come here” he said scooting over, making room for me on the bed. I looked at him hesitantly “Oh come on, Emily. They don’t call it a VIP bed for nothing” he said referring to the extra-large bed prepared especially for Harry Styles from One Direction. I stared at him for a few seconds before climbing onto his bed and resting in his arms. It was kind of awkward at first considering his broken ankle and the fact that I’d broken up with my boyfriend just 2 minutes ago, but after a couple of minutes the awkwardness faded away, and it was just like old times. I rested my palm on his chest as my heavy eyelids closed. His hand rested on my waist, touching a bit of some exposed skin which felt warm and comfortable.

  Just as I was about to fall asleep, Niall, Liam, Zayn, and Louis barged in with McDonald’s in their hands.

  “HONEY, I’M HERE” Louis yelled. Zayn elbowed him in the stomach.

  “Be quiet” Zayn hissed “We can’t be caught”

  “Guys” I said sitting up “What are you doing here?”

  “We snuck past management and got you guys some food” Niall said “But you two were apparently busy with something else” he smirked. I straightened my hair as Harry and I exchanged embarrassed looks.