Prologue

They all sat around the room in silence for a long time, just staring at the boy on the bed in case anything happened with him. Still nothing, though. He hadn't moved a centimeter since the boys had gotten there the previous day.

"Lads, it hasn't even been half an hour, don't worry. Maybe the nurse was wrong with her timing," Niall said, gripping Liam's left hand tight with both of his hands.

Their heads all whipped around when Harry's heart monitor skipped a beat, then went on like normal.

"Is that supposed to happen?" Louis asked. No one answered. Then, Louis saw movement. Harry's finger twitched.

"Guys, guys, his finger. His finger moved," He whisper-yelled to the others. Liam and Niall looked closely, and sure enough, Harry's finger twitched again.

    "Go on, Liam. You're his brother. You should be next to him when he wakes up."

Niall pushed Liam to his feet and the bigger lad sat down next to Harry's bed, his hands immediately going to hold Harry's. The younger boy's hands twitched in Liam's hold, eventually moving around easily, and then the boy made a small noise, almost a groan.

"Li," He said, his voice groggy and his eyes still closed.

"Yes, Haz, I'm here. Can you open your eyes, babes?" Harry's eyelids fluttered, too heavy to open, and then they finally did. Harry's beautiful green eyes were revealed to the room.

"What happened? What am I doing here?" Liam sighed and kissed Harry's knuckles.

"You fell darling. You really had us scared." Harry nodded sleepily, his eyes moving to the other two in the room.

"Hi, Hazzy. How are you feeling, bud?" Niall asked, waving at the boy.

"Not great. My head really hurts." Niall nodded and Louis stood up, coming to the edge of Harry's bed.

"Hi, baby. I'm so sorry I wasn't here." Louis's face fell and his heart dropped down to his stomach when he saw the younger boy's face twist up in confusion as he stared at him.

"Who are you?"

    Louis gasped when he heard those three words come out of the younger boy's mouth.

"Liam, who is that?" Harry asked again, this time directed toward the boy sitting next to him. Liam opened his mouth to answer but before he could say anything, Louis ran out of the room in tears.

"I'll go get him," Niall said, hopping up from his seat and running after the older boy.

"Well?" Harry turned back to Liam, his eyes wide with confusion.

Liam grunted and covered Harry's quivering hand with his own shaky one.

"No one, love. Just a friend of mine." Harry nodded and licked his lips, his mouth and throat completely dry.

"Could I have some water?"

Liam nodded and handed Harry a small styrofoam cup from beside his bed.

"Here you are, love." He watched as the boy gulped the water thirstily, finishing it off quickly and setting it on his tray.

"Where are mum and dad? Are they in the cafeteria?"

    All the blood rushed out of Liam's face and he turned an unhealthy, pasty white, his hands fidgeting in his lap. "Babe, they're gone."

Harry cocked his head to the side, confused by Liam's vague statement. "What do you mean, gone?" Liam sighed and scooted forward in his chair.

"A couple of months ago, all of you guys were coming home from the fireworks show, and you got in an accident." The younger boy shook his head at his older brother.