Chapter 2

Harry woke up at six o'clock, as usual, to the sound of birds chirping outside his window. He sat up in bed and stretched his arms over his head until he heard his shoulders crack. Then he hopped out of bed and padded into his small bathroom where he showered and brushed his teeth. His curls, now waves, really, with how long his hair was, managed to sort themselves out and he quickly blow-dried his hair.

He dropped his towel from around his waist and walked back to his bedroom completely naked, digging through his drawers to find something to wear. His cat, Dusty, came out from under his bed and brushed against his ankles, making him giggle as he ducked down to pet her.

"Morning, baby. Daddy's gotta get to work soon, okay?" Dusty meowed at the boy and he smiled. "I'll be back late tonight, babes. I have to go to Uncle Zayn's for dinner, so don't wait for me."

The young man stood back up and finally picked an outfit. A flowy silk blouse, layered with a light blue peacoat, and a pair of tight, black skinny jeans. He looked himself over in the mirror and nodded approvingly, then walked out into the kitchen to make breakfast. Dusty followed him out, weaving in and out between his legs, and Harry scooped her up before he tripped on her.

"Bad girl, Dusty. Don't go under my feet while I'm walking. It won't end well for either of us."

He set her down on the counter so she could watch while he made his breakfast of two eggs on toast. She curled up and fell asleep almost instantly, but she woke right up when she heard the sound of the stove lighting up. Her pupils dilated as she watched the flame flicker and she reached her paw out to swat at it, but thankfully Harry grabbed her.

"You have a death wish today, don't you? Come on, pumpkin, let me go fill your bowl." He walked over to her food bowl and poured a scoop of food in, then filled her water bowl.

By the time Harry finished his breakfast and got all of his things together, it was almost a quarter past seven, so he waved goodbye to Dusty and left the apartment, locking the door behind him. He walked down the stairs and out the shabby lobby, walking to where his car was parked in the building's parking lot. His car was a small 1980s two-door blue Mazda. Harry loved the car, it having been given to him from Liam and Zayn as a graduation present. They had even gotten it professionally painted the specific shade of blue that Harry was so obsessed with.

Harry hopped into the car and turned it on, waiting for the electric seat belts to set in place before he pulled out of the lot. It wasn't a long drive to his work, only 15 minutes, and he didn't technically have to be there until eight, but he loved getting there early to set up and pick out books for the day. It was one of his favorite things about the job. He drove through town, slowing down to look at his favorite shop to see if anything new was up in the windows, then pulled up next to his favorite bakery.

A familiar silver car was parked outside and Harry smiled, watching as his brother held hands with his girlfriend, Marie. He was waiting for the day they would send him a wedding invitation, but alas, Liam still hadn't popped the question. The silver convertible finally left and Harry took the spot, turning the car off and hopping out with his coat on. Harry walked up to the door and opened it, smiling when he breathed in the familiar scent. He looked around, glad that there was a smaller crowd so he didn't have to wait, but frowned when he saw a man sitting at the table next to the big picture window.

The man was hurriedly shoving things in his bag as he cried, his cheeks bright red and nose runny. Harry stumbled back when he saw the man get up and seemingly storm toward him, but the lad had been so lost in watching him he hadn't heard the barista call the man's name. The man said a quick thank you, not even glancing in Harry's direction, and walked out the door.