Chapter 41

The three boys finished dinner around seven and then retired to the living room. Marie was supposed to come over later in the evening and they were waiting for her to come before they exchanged any gifts.

    "So, are you both coming over to Zee's tomorrow, or just Harry?" Liam asked as he leaned back on the sofa.

    "Both of us," Harry chirped, giving Louis a bright smile. Louis nodded and patted Harry's knee.

    "Yup, hopefully. I really want to see Zayn again. I've missed him. And I heard his dogs are pretty cool too." Harry hummed and nuzzled his cheek against Louis's shoulder.

    "Yeah, his dogs are great. Love them. He has two, both great danes. Their names are Tobey and Andrew, after Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield." Louis chuckled and shook his head.

    "Only Zayn." He turned to Liam. "So, Liam, a little birdie named Harry has told me that you are going to be a daddy. How does that feel?" Liam blushed and looked down at his hands.

    "Don't say it like that. I'm going to be a dad. Not a daddy. I was already a daddy." Harry and Louis both grimaced.

    "Ugh, yuck," Harry groaned. Louis nodded.

    "Seriously, though. How does it feel, knowing that you're going to be a dad in a couple of months?" Liam sighed and closed his eyes.

    "Honestly, I don't even know. I'm really nervous about it. I'm scared that I'm going to fuck it all up and mess the rest of my life up. Or worse, mess up Marie's life." He shifted around and grimaced, holding his side. Harry frowned.

    "You okay, Li?" Liam nodded but continued to hold his side.

    "I'm fine. Just got a pulled muscle."

    "Are you sure? You look like you're in a lot of pain." Liam winced and shook his head.

    "I'm perfectly fine." Harry stood up and went over to Liam, pressing a gentle hand against his side. Liam let out a pained groan and squeezed his eyes shut.

"Told you you're not fine. What's wrong? Let me see." Liam shook his head when Harry tried to pull his shirt up.

"You're not a doctor, Haz."

"Shut up. I have to deal with sick and injured kids all the time. Let me see your side." Harry tugged at the bottom of Liam's shirt and he finally complied, allowing Harry to pull his shirt up to his armpit.

Harry gasped when he saw the state of Liam's side. It was covered in a ginormous, purple-blue bruise with angry red lacerations in the darkest part. There were a few welts on the outside and it looked like one of the cuts was infected.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Liam. What happened to you?" Harry asked, his hand coming up to cover his mouth.

    "It's nothing. Just got a little snag when I was working." Harry stuttered.

    "When you were working? I told you that being a firefighter was dangerous! What the fuck is wrong with you?" Harry teared up and Liam closed his eyes.

    "Haz, don't get mad. I saved someone's life. I was carrying a child out of a burning house and I got crushed by a beam, but the kid is just fine. Just a few minor burns on his arms. I saved him. That's worth getting a few cuts and bruises, okay?" Harry sniffled and swiped at his eyes. "I'm really fine. The paramedic told me I was good to go. At least I'm on leave for a couple of days, though, so we'll get to spend some more time together. The chief didn't want me coming in injured, said it would look bad for his name." Harry nodded and gave Liam a tight hug.