11. Rats

(Warning: Mentions of violence)

I trudged down the footpath that would soon lead me to a motel that I would be staying in. I was tired from having to walk into to town and I wanted nothing more than to lay down and have a well-deserved rest.

I let out a sigh of relief as I saw the big, bright sign that was flashing neon lights. The whole place screamed shady and without a weapon to protect me, I was slightly concerned about my safety. I eyed the entry until my eyes landed on a 7/11 that was surprisingly open at this time of night.

It was unnerving how quiet it was as I walked down the empty road. Usually, I found it peaceful when I would walk down a road that showed no signs of life, but considering I was in an unfamiliar town, and I wasn't even certain of where I was, I was scared that something may happen to me. It wouldn't be too bad if something did happen, then I wouldn't have to pay for all the filthy crimes I've had to commit, but that's the life I chose, and it would be the life I was stuck with until everything was solved.

The little bell above the door rang as I pushed open the door. There was a lady behind the counter who was obnoxiously chewing her gum as she stared straight down at her phone. She was brave, I had to give her credit for that. Working night shift in, what I could only assume was the bad part of town, and not even paying attention to her surroundings. The snobby lady didn't even lift her head to look up at me as she paid o mind at all. This raised some suspicions as I walked to the chip isle.

I noticed over the small shelves she was glancing up at me repeatedly but never looking too long. I decided that enough was enough and I needed to get out of here. "You're not planning on stealing anything are you?" Her voice almost made me jump as I hadn't expected her to speak at all.

I held my hands up to show her the bag of chips that I picked out and then walked over to the counter and placing it in front of her. She looked down at my pockets to which I folded them inside out so she could see for sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong. She hummed in response. "$3.50." I slapped the money down onto the counter.

"Keep the change." I grabbed my chips and then exited the store. As I walked past the window that would reveal to me the other side of the counter, I could see the bit of metal sticking out of the woman's pocket as it glinted in the light. My eyes trailed up to meet her smirking face and I instantly looked away and began to speed walk down the footpath.

As I walked past an alleyway, I heard the sound of painful grunts. I knew better than to intervene with whatever business was going on in there and decided to keep walking, stopping when I heard them call out. "Is someone there?" I stayed silent. "Reveal yourself!" I wasn't about to walk into my own death, but instead I ended up walking into a brick wall.

A very human-like brick wall.