Chapter 𝟚 - The S.S.R

December 1942

Taking care of people was something I was good at, it was something I had done all my life so, what better to do than become a nurse during times of war?

Remember this was 1942 I recall, there was no way in hell they would let me, a black nurse, work in the same place as soldiers like Bucky. Being a twenty-five-year-old woman at that time and being unmarried seemed unheard of almost but, I digress.

"Wow Tina, I'm convinced, you're a magician."

"Not a magician Charles, just doing my job."

I was healing a soldier named Charles Beckett, poor fella always had some type of injury but I easily took care of that with my "gift" as Sarah called it. By now, she and aunt Dinah were gone and Steve, Bucky, and I were devastated, we kept pushing on though like we always did, at least we had each other.

Charles rubbed his leg. "How do you do it? There's no scar or nothing!"

"A true magician never reveals their secrets."

"But you said-"

The medic tent was opened. A woman with brown hair and red lipstick walked inside. She had a dark green uniform on. All eyes were on her.

"Oh boy, here we go." I thought.

"How can I help you, ma'am." I walked up to her, all the other soldiers and nurses in the tent went back to minding their own business, not wanting any trouble.

"Are you Nurse Christina Harding?" She said with a British accent.

"Yes ma'am."

"Perfect, I'm Agent Carter, you'll soon be an agent too if you so choose. And please, call me Peggy."

So she's who some of the troops were talking about, "A woman doing a man's job." How close-minded.

"Why me?"

"Well, you have an incredible gift there Ms. Harding. The S.S.R could use someone like you."

I scanned Peggy and from what I could tell, she seemed sincere enough but, I was never one to trust easily.

"How do you know about that?"

"I've seen you work your magic a few times, it's quite impressive."

"...Alright fair but, what's all this S.S.R business about?"

"Right, you'll be moving up to work with the Strategic Scientific Reverse, I can explain to you on the way there if you wish."

I turned to one of the other nurses that I worked with, she nodded to me as if she was saying "go on, it's alright."

"Okay, I'll come with you, Peggy."

"Excellent now, if you would follow me please." Peggy pulled opened the tent and walked out, I followed shortly behind her.

Peggy led me to a parked car, we went in it and the driver started the car.

"Now, you wanted an explanation yes?"

"Of course."

"The S.S.R has been considering you as a potential partner for me."

"Really? That's...very surprising."

"What's surprising? The fact that they would let two women work at a higher position than most men?"

"Yes, exactly that."

"That's why I understand your hesitancy. But before I can even tell you more your going to have to see what you're getting into."

"That's the thing, I get that this stuff has to be secret and all that jazz but all I know I can do is heal people."