Chapter 𝟙𝟝 - Numb

"Tina, this isn't a healthy way to deal with your feelings-" Peggy said.

"I know."

"Then why are you doing this?"

"Because I'm devasted, I may have lost the love of my life, I'm in a whole different decade, I miss my best friends, I never got to live my damn life and—on top of all of that, I'm going through some more superhuman nonsense."

"...Which is?"

"It's very hard to get drunk." It was the day after we had visited the Stark household and still, my emotions were on the rise. My hair was disheveled, I had ransacked a wine cellar I found in the house and couldn't get drunk for whatever reason and, I spent all of last night into the afternoon letting it out. Sad scene I know but, Peggy came back in the morning to help me return to being a semi-functional person.

"You poor soul. Tina, you must put the wine down."

"...fine, it's not working anyway." I sat down the near-empty bottle of wine and its accompanying glass on my nightstand.

Peggy rubbed my arm. "You know if you're up to it, I have a new mission that may interest you."

I sat up in my bed. "I'm listening."

"Oh, you're interested?"

"Anything to keep my mind off of everything."

"I'll fill you in after you get yourself together." Peggy then got up from her sitting spot on my bed.

"Aw, Peg—"

"Not one word Christina, get orderly first then later, we can talk business."

"You're going?" I got up from my bed.

"Yes, I have things to do you know, as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Okay okay, you're a busy gal I got it. I'm being a sad sack of potatoes right now, don't worry too much about me I'll get cleaned up."

Peggy smiled. "Chin up, you'll get through this. I know you will."

"I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I'm aware, you tell me that a lot, I'll be back later." Peggy walked out the bedroom door and to the front door.

I didn't move until I heard the door shut then, I made my way to the bathroom in my house and just stared at my reflection in the mirror.

"Okay, Christina," I talked to myself a lot and say what you want and I guarantee Bucky has said enough, it helped me piece myself together. "We are going to get through this day, like it or not your in 1969. You have to learn how to adjust, you'll be fine." I was dying, not literally this time, to be back in the field again.

I turned on the faucet and splashed water on my face to wake myself up, my first step in getting it together. Here goes nothing.

—♫—
After putting on my clothes for the day, I headed to the kitchen before—my doorbell rang.

I hadn't been expecting any visitors, by nature I proceeded to the door with caution. I stood to the side of the door before speaking loudly.

"Who is it?"

From the other side of the door, a familiar voice responded. "It's me. Evan, I brought someone with me." I opened the door to be met by the redhead and, a little girl. "Can we come in?"