Chapter 𝟛𝟘 - Hard To Trust

That day I avoided Violet at all costs. It was starting to become too hard to trust many that I used to although I knew that Howard or Peggy would never betray me.

Now, I wasn't so sure about Adrienne, and I didn't know what Violet was up to but it didn't seem like her intentions were good. All I knew is that she wanted to know something, something about this she Violet spoke of to her associate over the phone. She told the person she loved them and I only thought of her being newly engaged—her new partner? Is that who she was talking to?

I was starting to believe that Violet was planning something with the person over the phone. No matter how much I wanted to tell Howard and Peg when I was helping them fix this data leak, I didn't want them involved. I had a feeling that if they got involved in this would become too messy and wouldn't end well for anyone.

I had to take a break from everything that was going on so Peggy allowed me to leave the base, I'd be back later anyway.

There was one place I had in mind that I wanted to go and I was able to quickly get myself there. I went down to the cemetery where my aunt was buried. It was a place to clear my mind, I'd vent to aunt Dinah like she was still there.

I walked up a hill where her tombstone was, placed by an old oak tree—watching over her. As I approached the grave, I saw a woman standing by it, hands on her face...crying.

Instantly, I knew who it was. I guess Adrienne had the same idea as me.

I sighed as I witnessed the vessel sob into her hands, whispering "I'm sorry" over and over again like Dinah could hear her. It didn't feel right to interrupt her, especially after she started to talk.

"Dinah...I hope you don't hate me, I know you didn't understand but, nothing was done in vain I promise you."

Quietly, I picked my feet up and started to walk up next to her, I looked down at the ground, not meeting her gaze. Though, she knew I stood next to her anyway.

"...I didn't sense that you were here Christina, why is that?"

Thinking back to what I was taught, what Lewis had shown me. I didn't even know what I was truly capable of and it wasn't time for Adrienne to know what I could do. "I'd rather not say right now Adrienne considering I feel like you haven't been honest with me. Besides, I've barely had to use any of my abilities for a long time now."

You could hear the embarrassment in her voice. "I promise you Tina I had good reason, the council—"

I tightened my fists. "The council is full of shit Adrienne. I know you see that. I've been around a bunch of power-hungry monsters to know that they show all the signs of being that."

"You don't understand."

"Is that the same story you told her?" I looked up to Adrienne. "I don't think my aunt hid my roots for no reason." I scanned her face, she was struggling with her words, trying to make everything make sense.

"I was doing it to keep everyone safe."

"That's what I thought I was doing before I was told that I was just a puppet." I got closer to her, trying to break some sort of truth out of her, I wasn't sure if I was going to get it.

"Look, I don't want to feel like I have to distrust you, Adrienne. But I have too much on my mind going on—if you know something I don't, tell me. Help me help all the others."

She kept her composure like nothing was going on. "Nothing is wrong Christina, I know it's hard to put your faith in the council right now but, you can trust me."

"Everything can't be fine Adrienne, some vessels can't even speak. They can't see their other friends or family. You can't believe that everything is okay."