Chapter 𝟛 - The Expo

1943

"Jeez, doc you still haven't gotten enough blood
from me?" I said as Dr. Erskine finished drawing my blood. Not too long ago, I found out I could do much more than heal people and that came with the cost of me nearly fainting from blood loss which I thought was impossible, ironic I know.

"That should be the last of it Agent Harding, your blood is vital for this project. The blood cells in your blood carry twice as much oxygen and nutrients around your body than what's considered to be normal, that's incredible!"

"And that aids the serum your making, how exactly?"

"Well, I was able to isolate your white and red blood cells to add healing properties to the serum. Thanks to you, super-soldiers now have accelerated self-healing abilities along with powerful antibodies. Tell me, does anyone else in your family have this gift of yours?"

"Not to my knowledge, they're all dead." 

"Oh, my apologies."

"It's alright Erskine but, I have to get going Stark needs me for something."

"Of course, let me just get everything cleaned up and I promise, no more blood will be drawn for a while."

                                      —♫—
At the time, it had been about a year ever since I joined the S.S.R and I didn't regret my choice and I still don't, it was nice to work with the same people who didn't judge me and the pay wasn't bad either, of course, there were ups and downs but nothings perfect.

I fixed the sleeves on my S.S.R uniform and walked up the stairs to the "pod" that Stark was working on, he was welding it together.

"Howard." He didn't hear me. "Stark."

He was still welding away until I shouted. "Howard Stark!"

Stark flipped up his mask and turned to look at me, he had a big smile plastered on his face.

"If it isn't the illustrious Christina Harding."

I couldn't help but crack a small smile at him. "Cut to the chase, you needed me for something?"

"Yes. I did. Listen I'm doing this event tonight- an expo and, I'd love it if you could come tonight. It's not a date— unless you want to to be so, what do you say?"

"I'll think about it."

"Really?" Howard raised his eyebrow.

"Yes, really and I got to go so, I'll see you later."

"Alright, bye Tina." I waved to Howard before I descended up the stairs to where the bookshelf door was, feeling eyes watching my back the whole time. I gave a nod to the woman at the front desk of the antique shop before heading out the door.

"Need a ride?" I looked up from the ground to see Peggy, getting into a car.

"No thanks Peg, I can walk."

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then."

"See ya." I sped down the sidewalk in heels, I wasn't going to miss the time to hang out with Bucky and Steve before Bucky gets deployed again.

"Hey! Pick on someone your own size." A man came running out of the alleyway I was standing in front of.

"Move it, lady!" The man pushed past me but, I managed to grab him by the back of his shirt, I then threw him to the ground.

"Have some manners." He picked himself back up looking even more angry and annoyed.

"Don't look at me, keep walking!" He clenched his fists and ran away.

"Great work doll." I turned around to see Steve and Bucky. I ran up to hug both of them.

"There you two are."

Bucky turned to Steve. "Sometimes, I think you like getting punched."

"I had him on the ropes." Oh, Steve.

Bucky bent down to pick up a piece of paper Steve dropped. "How many times is this?" I looked over his shoulder to see a denied enlistment slip.

"Oh, you're from Paramus now?"

"Really Steve?" I said.

"You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

"...You get your orders?" I grimaced, knowing exactly what the answer was.

"The 107th. Sergeant James Barnes, shipping out for England first thing tomorrow." Why Bucky? Why was it always you?

"I should be going," Steve said.

"Steve..."

"What?"

Bucky sighed and wrapped his arm around Steve's shoulders. "Come on man." I walked next to them.

"It's my last night! We gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where we going?"

"The future." I looked at the newspaper then Bucky handed Steve, Stark Expo, huh? Looks like everything worked out.

—♫—
We arrived at Stark Expo, Bucky and I were still in our uniforms. The boys were glad that I was doing well with this new "government" job. They were in for a big surprise later.

"I don't see what the problem is. You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know there's three and a half million women here?"

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"Research." Bucky winked and I laughed.

"Well, I'd settle for just one."

"Good thing I took care of that." Bucky asked me beforehand if I was comfortable with them bringing dates along, I didn't want to ruin the fun so, I said yes. Besides, I told them I had things to do little and I might have to leave.

"Hey, Bucky!" A woman called out to him. Here we go again.

"What'd you tell her about me?"

"Only the good stuff."

"Don't worry Steve, you got this," I reassured him.

"I hope I do."

Don't worry Steve, far more exciting things are going to be happening soon.