Ch. 28

-Steph's POV-

As I walk back into the kitchen, Zach and Scott are sitting at the island while Lisa is stirring the gravy.

"Oh, good morning! Happy Birthday! Oh what's wrong sweetie?" She asks. Guess my eyes are red. Great.

"Oh um thank you and nothing, I'm ok." I slightly smile. She doesn't believe me, I can tell. I hear Chris walk in behind me and I tense a little. I don't know if I can trust him and being in the same house as him plus his family, isn't easy.

"Um morning mom." He sighs.

"Scott, can you and Zach go do the laundry please?" Lisa asks. I move to the oven and take the biscuits out then continue with the gravy. It's nearly done, thankfully. Chairs scrape against the floor and the two boys leave.

"Alright, what's going on with you two?" Lisa asks.

"Mom, please." Chris begs.

"No, spill it." She really reminds me of my mother.

"What I said about her ex... I shouldn't have. It wasn't my place to tell you." He admits.

"You're right, it wasn't. Steph, I'm sorry. He shouldn't have told any of us, we're just extremely close so please don't fault him for that. I'm not defending him, he really shouldn't have told us." She says. I turn around after turning off the stove top.

"It's not that I mind you knowing, I just think you only like me out of pity. I trusted him with specific details that only he and my best friend know. None of my family know." I tell her.

"Oh no, not at all. You're a great girl and I see that. I actually like you more than his past girlfriends. He never gave details. Only said you were abused and cheated on after the engagement." I sigh, nodding. I feel a tad better knowing he didn't tell them any details. I just wish he would've told me that he told them. I don't mind them knowing the small truth of my past.

"I'll give you two a minute." She smiles, leaving the two of us.

"I'm sorry baby... I promise you I never told them details." He explains.

"I believe you. But you should've asked me before telling them." He nods, walking closer to me.

"I know. I messed up. Forgive me, please." I sigh and look up at him. He genuinely looks heartbroken over this. I don't like seeing him upset and those blue eyes look so sad. Giving in, I wrap my arms around his waist and he sighs in relief. He kisses my head and hugs me tightly. We stay like this for a few minutes before I look up at him.

"I forgive you." He leans down and kisses me.

"Thank God. I hate it when you're mad at me. I really thought I was going to be hit with a belt." I giggle.

"You better watch yourself or next time I will." He moans, making me laugh more.

"Please do." I shake my head, moving out of his arms.

"Foods ready." The others come back in and I hand them each a plate then fix myself one along with some orange juice.

"Oh my God, Stephanie. This is amazing! Can I marry you if Chris doesn't?" We all laugh as Scott stuffs his face.

"Back off dipshit, she's mine." Chris jokes.

"And I will gladly switch sides if that means I can get free food." I smile.

"I will gladly cook for you any time."

"Hell ya!" I shake my head and continuing eating.

"This is really good Steph." Lisa says, making me smile.