Chapter 68

Amalia POV

It was strong and it burnt.

The second I drank the vodka, hundreds of terrifying memories came flooding back.

I was transported back to my old home with Robert and my mom. They were there, yanking my hair back and pouring the alcohol down my neck.

All their words filled my mind.

Worthless

Nothing

Useless

"Maybe you're alright after all," Vittoria smirked, nudging my arm for me to lift the drink to my mouth again.

Her friends laughed and cheered me on.

I needed to fit in.

I needed them to see me as a teenager and not a little girl.

I needed to do this for Stefania.

"I can't believe you've had my aunt to yourself this whole time," Vittoria slurred after a while.

"What do you mean?" I asked, slightly more confident now I was onto my next drink.

"I've not seen her in forever. And now she comes back and brings you with her," she explained.

"I'm sorry," I said genuinely, not meaning for her to be upset.

"She talks about you all the time," I told her.

Vittoria seemed to soften a little when she heard this, a small smile appearing.

"Ecco, prova questo," Gino said, rejoining the table.

I glanced at him confused, not understanding the Italian.

"He said try this one," Vittoria laughed, handing me another drink.

"What is it?" I asked, quickly looking around for Stefania and Danielle.

They were still talking to Stefania's brother and sister, not paying any attention to us.

"Just drink it," Gino said in a strong accent.

I did as he said.

I didn't recognise it.

Robert clearly hadn't ever drank it before.

It took effect on me immediately.

It was took me from being okay with what I'd drank to starting to feel drunk. I remembered this feeling and remembered how much I hated it.

"I just need to use the bathroom," I said, excusing myself from the group.

"You don't look okay," Vittoria chuckled awkwardly.

"I'm fine," I said, looking around for the toilet.

The bright light in the toilets made my head start to spin. I found an empty stall and threw myself over the toilet, emptying my stomach.

Being sick must have triggered something as I suddenly began to lose control, the sicker I was, the drunker I felt.

I slumped myself down against the wall.

I never wanted to move.

I don't know how long I was there.

"Amalia,"

"Amalia,"

"Are you in here?"

"Vittoria?" I asked, unsure if it was her or not.