Finals - Eden Cole

There, stood before me were three elderly women. One with scissors, another with needle and thread, while the last one had a scarf in her hand. The two ladies either side of her made notions of cutting the scarf, although never really cutting it. My mouth stumbled upon my words as I tried to say something. Instead, I continued to stare at the three ladies. It was like they were trying to tell me something without the use of words.

“You know that they are telling you your fate is most likely death, right? They’re the fates. That scarf, that’s your lifeline,” Phae spoke. She had finally given up on her dumb blonde act. I was surprised she hadn’t killed me yet.

“I don’t doubt it. Why haven’t you killed me yourself yet, Phae?” I questioned her, swivelling on the soles of my feet to meet her eyes.

“Because I need you to the end. I need to make sure that we are the last two people alive, then I am going to kill you myself with my own two hands,” she sneered in a voice of anger. I gulped.

“I knew there had to be something in it for you. Never really did believe your act, and especially since you tried to kill me yesterday in the Underworld,” I said with a fake laugh of amusement.

“That’s why you’re going to pay for being so annoying and smart,” she said with a smirk scrawled across her face. I rolled my eyes, not afraid of her. I turned to the left of me and continued to walk on, leaving the fates behind me. Hopefully Phae as well, but it was no use, she was right on the tip of my heels. Was she really that desperate to kill me?

Ahead of us was Jonah who appeared from behind a bush. Had he been spying on Phae and I?

“Were you spying on us?” Phae sneered, rolling her eyes. Jonah cowered, turning to run, but not before Phae had a tight grip on Jonah’s wrist, pulling him towards her. I stood- watching from the side. A knife was put against Jonah’s neck as he whimpered beneath her touch. His cheeks were flushed green and you could see his mouth beginning to gag. Was this a moment in time where I should help her, or the time where I should be a coward and run away? Neither was a very good option. I would die either way. There was no hope. I had survived this far, but there was no getting out of the arena alive.

I continued to watch as vomit escaped Jonah’s gagging mouth, splattering across Phae’s chest. She screamed in anger, pulling the knife across his neck. It wasn’t just one of those cuts designed to scare you, no, it was a cut so deep you could see poor Jonah’s neck bone. Within a second he was falling to the ground with a thump. I whimpered, but quickly put my hand to my mouth, stopping any unwanted sound from falling out.

She grabbed a hold of my arm and dragged me away from the terrifying scene. I knew better than to say something to her.

It wasn’t long before the two of us were faced with Jaiden who cowered at the sight of the dripping blood on Phae’s hands.

“What did you do to Jonah?” Jaiden whimpered, his lip quivering.

“Cut his neck,” she laughed with satisfaction. I backed away from her slightly. How could the girl take joy in this? I knew she was a schemer and not stupid, but I didn’t know she was this cruel.

+++

Everybody was dead. Except me. How could this be? I didn’t think that I would be the one to end up alive. This was it.

I was a winner.