Interview - Nixie Adams

Ivy, my stylist, moved nimbly around me, armed with makeup supplies and brushes. Her black hair was tied back into a messy bun, her emerald green eyes were outlined with a heavy amount of eyeliner and her mascara was done perfectly. Her ivory skin seemed all the more pale from her black clothing, and her eyebrows arched perfectly across her white forehead. She looked so familiar, but I just couldn’t my finger on where I had seen her before.

“I’m sorry that you have to be here,” She murmured, staring intently at my face as she evened out my mascara. I hummed in reply, not wanting to move and cause her to make a mistake. “Really, I am. I know what you have to go through, what you’re feeling right now. You must hate me, basically making you pretty and then throwing you into a slaughterhouse.”

“No Ivy, I don’t hate you. I appreciate that you’re actually trying to help me, and that you’re obviously not overjoyed at the Games. May I ask, how do you know what I’m feeling?” I asked curiously, wondering how a Capitol-born woman knew how it felt to be forced into an arena of life and death.

“Simple. I was a tribute as well, a Victor actually. I’m originally from District 8 but, when I came out of that arena, I made myself gothic and undesirable so that the President couldn’t sell my body like I’ve seen him do to so many other Victors. When he discovered my artistic talent, I was given a job as a stylist and forced to move here.” Ivy explained, rummaging through the large wardrobe as she searched for what I assumed was a part of my outfit. She revealed a gorgeous diamond necklace, three diamond bracelets with glass heels that were at least 4 inches high. She passed them to me, and I looked at them critically.

“Are these real glass?” I asked sceptically, staring at the heels. Ivy’s warm laugh shocked me, and I whipped my head up in surprise. Ivy had styled my hair into simple beach waves, and I had to admit that they did look good.

“God no, and risk you breaking them and cutting yourself? No, they’re pure diamond. Virtually unbreakable.” Ivy informed me, and I looked at the shoes with new interest. Now that I was really looking, I could see that the diamond heels had an almost crystalline look to them, and they were a lot heavier than normal glass. Plus, I couldn’t see clearly through the shoes, unlike if they were glass.

“Wow, thanks Ivy. These must’ve cost a fortune! They’re beautiful.” I said with a warm smile, admiring the diamond items. After a few seconds, I gently placed the precious items on the bed beside me and began wondering what my dress looked like. It would have to match the diamonds… Then again, everything matched diamonds these days.

“You ready to see your dress?” Ivy asked, rubbing her white hands together in anticipation. I nodded, excited to see what she had in store for me. “Well close your eyes.” I did as she asked, not about to argue with someone who so clearly wanted to help me. I wouldn’t throw her kindness back in her face, not like my other half would. I shuddered at the thought of the demon inside me, and how I was forced to live in fear because of it. I heard a thump, and flinched at the sudden noise. 

"Ivy, are you okay?" I called nervously, wondering why it took her so long to get a dress. Ivy cursed softly under her breath, and I heard her very stylish, black Doc Martens walk across the room. I was tempted to see my dress, but I decided to wait until she told me it was okay. 

"You can open your eyes now!" Ivy called, and I didn't wait for a second invitation. My eyes shot open, and I gasped as I saw the dress. The loose, flowing skirt reached to the ground, looking like it would pool around my feet unless I wore heels, and had a slit up the right side. The white fabric looked like it would be see-through, but I trusted Ivy enough to know that it wouldn't be. The strapless bodice looked like a massive diamond had been carved into the sweetheart neckline design, and I knew that it was pure diamond. The Capitol obviously spared no expense for its tributes, and for once I was glad about that. I couldn't wait to show off this gorgeous dress for the world to see. Ivy helped me wriggle into the perfectly fitting dress, and I spun in a quick circle to show it off for her. I was about to leave the room, when Ivy grabbed my shoulder and gestured at the jewellery and shoes. I slipped two of the bracelets onto my left wrist and used the third one as an anklet, slipped on the shoes, and turned around so that Ivy could clip on the necklace.