Interview - Anna-Maria Grove

I strutted onto the stage, lights blazing down on me. An elaborately decorated woman sat on a golden chair looking eagerly at me. I sat down, my heart filling with trepidation. Her eyes flickered like little butterflies. They were butterflies!  She gave a little giggle and nodded me signalising the start of the interview.
I didn't know how I was going to play the interview. Sassy, smart, held back? No idea. "So," she trilled in a musical voice. "How are you liking the Capitol?" I focused on her and forgot about the audience.
"'S alright I suppose." I heard the audience giggle and knew that I would act the normal me. Cheeky and hard-to-get. I wiped my finger on the seat and rubbed it pretending that it was dirty. Another laugh. Ruby seemed to be enjoy my presence too so, we continued.
"I heard you volunteered, why?" I felt a rage inside of me. 'Don't let it out!' I told myself and gave a gracious smile.
"Well, my brother Loui was picked and I wanted to save him. So I thought, what the heck, so I got myself here and now I think that it wasn't really a bad idea. Better than spending a life never seeing the luxury of the Capitiol. It might be a short life if I do die but at least I can say I saw it!" I flicked my hair. I heard a few ooh's from the crowd but if I wanted sponsors, which I needed, I was going to have to work harder than this!
"How sweet, I suppose most girls with your fun attitude wouldn't do anything as nice as that. But, remember only one of you can come out!" Like I'd never heard that, everyone I'd meet so far in the Capitol told me that. But, whatever, if I could make everyone love me then maybe Loui would survive.
"So, if you're going to win you need to know you're enemy. Who stand out the most this year?" Her eyes flickered faster.
"Me!" A roar from the crowd, yes! "No, really, Tyber Mitango, the district one boy. I've seen him about and he certainly knows he's boss. He struts it like he means it ,girl!" Girl talk would make Ruby feel a soft spot for me, hopefully. I blew a kiss and saw a few boys faint. Seriously! My stylist must have made me look super good!
"Is he the biggest threat?" She spoke out to the audience and I saw his face appear on the screens. If I wasn't on. His death list already, I sure was now! "Na!" I threw my hand out. "Could take him down easy." Everyone laughed, even Ruby let out a snigger.
"On another matter." Ruby only just managed to get the words out. How was I funny? "On another matter, who's the weakest to you?" She had to repeat it but her voice took a more serious tone. "Mango Lancaster, duh! A pencil, seriously!" My voice was so sarcastic I didn't even recognise myself. I had always been kind in a way but that was plain rude. Well if it would get me sponsors......
"Do you have a chance of winning?"
"I would but Loui comes first unless he dies when I can't save him then..." I gave out a sob. Ruby placed her arm gently around me. Awww's oozed from the audience. A sassy girl saving her brother. Ticks it all!
I stopped, wiped my eyes and looked up. Ruby looked like she was about to burst into tears. Obviously my tears were more moving then I thought. "Any boys take you fancy?" Oh! There were some but I wouldn't want to embarrass him! He didn't know. Um! It might be good?
"Well, there is someone..." Ruby came closer and looked out over the vast mash of people watching.
"We can keep a secret!" She relaxed back into her chair. Her wavy red hair spilled all over her shiny dress, still retaining it's perfect shape.
"He doesn't know." I made sure everyone saw me biting my lip.
"Please...."
"Fine, you've twisted my arm." They were all awaiting the moment. He doesn't know. He might kill me. The alliance I've made might fall apart. Oh well..... "Jax Williams, district seven. He's probably gonna kill me for this anyway but..."
"I'm sure he won't!" He flashed up on the screen, his face bright red. I'm dead rang through my head. I only saw the gesture to leave and heard a faint roar of applause, which would probably be a billion times louder if I hadn't been shocked by my self-ignorance. I walked out, waiting for what would come backstage. Then a thought hit me. What if he loved me too?