Interview - Jane Louis

I sleek down my dress smoothing it out of the pesky wrinkles. My designer created this pale blue dress with black frill underneath to make it have a puffy skirt. The top of the dress is a small V neck that thankfully does not go down too low. Don’t need to accidentally flash the crowd. For the final touch I put on some black pumps with flacks of dark blue sparkles. Not my choice.

I walk out of the dressing room and look around at the other tributes. Valerie looking scary as ever. She smiles at me with an evil smile and a chill runs down my spine. I shake my head and walk to my seat next to Vern. He is looking forward and by the looks of it, he is thinking of his answers for the interview.

I heard that the interviewer is Ruby Shimmer. She seems nice. But is naive, giggly, and bubbly. I will have to be careful of what I say to her. The interviews seem to fly by but then it is the longest hour of my life. I finally am called upon by one of the stage staff. I follow the man to the entrance of the stage waiting to be announced.

“The next tribute is not your average southern bell. She has some fire. What’s even better is she is great with animals!” the crowd laughs

“Jane Louis!”

One foot in front of the other, Jane, it’s not hard I tell myself smile and wave. I do as I command myself. Heel toe heel toe. Smile and wave.

“Hi Ruby!” I give her a warm hug as if we are old friends and a smile.

“Well hello Jane. I see that the Capitol is rubbing off on you.” She says back motioning for me to sit in the chair behind me. I sit down crossing my legs with my hands clasp over my knees.

“It is. The Capitol is a very lovely place to be. So many nice people.” I look out at the crowd and they clapped and cheered.

“Well I guess I don’t need to ask how you like it here, now do I?” She giggles.

“Oh dear I am sorry. If I had known I would not have answered like that.” I replay.

“You are fine. Now serious time, my least favorite time,” She looks at me sweetly, “Who stands out to you the most this year?”

“Adam from 4. He is not like your average career and that is nice. Also he is gay. I have a soft spot for them.” That’s earned a round of applause.

“That is very sweet Jane!” She smiles, “But he isn’t a threat to you is he?”

“Oh God no he is not. Valerie is totally the biggest threat to me.”

“And why is that?” She smiles tilting her head to the side.

“Well her being a career is one of the reasons but her mom being a victor I feel like is a giant advantage. Like she has been training longer than the other career tributes. The moment she learned how to walk her mom probably taught her how to throw knifes. It’s just a scary thought to me.” I finish with a sigh, “I do hope I don’t get the chance to face her face to face.”

“I understand dear, I really do.” Ruby nods, “Who is the weakest?”

“Loui but I am only saying that because I do not know enough about him to say otherwise.” I say a matter-of-fact-ly.

“Oh okay I see. But you will give him a chance right?” I look at her with a smile but really I am thinking Oh ya I totally am when I am in the arena about to kill him with my butcher knife!

“Oh course if I do get a chance.”

“Okay last question. Do you think you have a chance at winning?” She asks.

“I don’t really know. There are so many great competitors but I do believe that I will last longer than most.” I smile at my answer.

“Okay thank you Jane.” She stands up and pulls me up too. “I had a wonderful time talking with you.”

“I did too Ruby.” I give her a hug then waved one last time to the crowd before walking off the stage.

I walk to Vern and look at him. I grab his hand and led him to the elevator so we can go to our room. I look at the other tributes as we walk by. I look at Loui and his sister, Anna-Maria. They are glaring at me and all I do is shrug. I don’t care what they think. I will kill them anyways.