A helping hand

Canon timeline.
Sherman: Me
Ryan, Sonia: Nova

Sherman was humming as he made his way toward Ryan's room. It was his turn to help out Ryan with physical therapy. He was always happy to help Ryan out with it, if he could help Ryan out everytime, he would. He made it to Ryan's room and knocked.

"come in." Ryan called, pushing himself upright and swinging his legs over the edge of the bed. Jack helped him get into some comfortable clothes before he left to research, Ryan sighing softly to himself. "Another day, another bruise." He mumbled.

Sherman walked in, "You ready, Ry?" He asked as he grabbed Ryan's wheelchair and brought it over so he could get in.

"as ready as i'll ever be." Ryan smiled, climbing into his wheelchair and giving a very soft huff. "..so.. dad.. i think terrys birthdays coming up soon.. right?" He looked back, a little smile coming to his face.

Sherman smiled and nodded, "Yeah, December 17th." He started to push Ryan out of the room. "We have to start planning a party for him." He said as he wheeled him over to the physical therapy room where Sonia was waiting.

Sonia had the exoskeleton resting on a bed, a smile coming to her face as the two entered. "Lets work out those knobbly lil' nerd legs again." She laughed softly, Ryan sighing. "Yeah yeah.. i wanna plan something big. Terry deserves it."

Sonia started to bolt the exoskeleton together on to ryans legs, ryan wincing softly.

"Yeah he does." Sherman said softly. He put a hand on Ryan comfortingly as Sonia put the exoskeleton. "Im sure we can think of something big for him."

"y.. yeah.." ryan mumbled, wincing one more time before sonia was finished, sonia huffing and stepping back. "Alright sherm, you can help him to his feet since you said you wanted to help out today."

Sherman nodded and went to the front of Ryan and held out his hands for him to grab onto.

Ryan took hold of shermans hands gently, counting to three softly before lifting himself, wincing from the weight shift on his back. "Fuck..." He breathed, legs shaking as he stood, leaning on sherman a little.

Sherman kept a steady weight for Ryan, keeping a hold of his hands. "Easy now, Ry." He said softly. He was proud of Ryan's progress through this but he has to keep reminding Ryan to not go to fast.

"i.. i'm okay.." ryan mumbled, adjusting his legs a little so he could keep his balance, the exoskeleton softly whirring as it allowed Ryan to move. Once ryan was settled, sonia pulled out her clipboard, looking over her notes. "Okay.. so today, why don't we try out some walking without assistance?" She smiled, looking up towards sherman gently. "You can stay by him just in case, but he can't have any help other than that."

Sherman looked at Sonia then back to Ryan, "Okay." He hesitantly let go of Ryan. He made sure to stay by him just in case. He didn't want Ryan getting injured, again.

Ryan took slow, shaky steps forward, holding out his hands for balance as he walked. "I.. i think i got it.." he mumbled before stumbling, catching himself on his feet quickly.

Sherman moved to try and catch Ryan but stopped as he saw him catch himself. He took a breath to try and calm his heart. "You okay, Ryan?" He asked softly.

"yeah.. just a little shaky on my feet.." Ryan laughed softly, smiling towards the other. He took a few more steps carefully, biting his lip amd focusing on steadying himself.

Sherman smiled back softly and watched as Ryan took a few steps. He was proud of the progress Ryan was making.

".. alright!! You're making amazing progress ryan." Sonia clapped happily, walking over and stopping ryan by holding his shoulders. "A little at a time, okay?" Ryan pouted, "but i think i'm doing okay.." his legs started shaking like a Chihuahua would without its sweater. Sonia sighed and looked towards sherman. "He never listens to me."

Sherman looked at Sonia then to Ryan, "Ry, you can't over do it. You may be doing okay but your legs are shaking." He put a hand on the middle of Ryan's back. "If you push yourself to hard, you won't be doing okay anymore."

"i just,, i want to be okay already.." Ryan was getting a little worked up, sonia sighing softly once more. "You're doing a lot more than other patients have done in years.. trust me, you're doing amazing.." she spoke softly, ryan looking between sherman and sonia before giving in and leaning a little more towards sherman. "....okay.... Baby steps...."

Sherman smiled softly, "Good, baby steps are the best to get there without hurting yourself." He said as he made sure to steady Ryan a little bit. He will make sure to catch him if he does fall, he will always catch his son's if they fall.

"...at least things are peaceful, for now." Ryan smiled, holding on to sherman, slowly turning his hips and making sure it didn't hurt like hell. "..i'll get there."

Sherman nodded, "Yes you will and everyone will be with you, every step of the way." He said as he made sure to be a steady weight.

Ryan nodded before letting go again and taking a few more steps, limping as he plopped back down in his wheelchair. "Ugh... Okay... What else we got to do?" He looked up at sonia, exhausted. Sonia looked at her board, brows furrowing. "Well.. thats all i really had for today. Just need to build your strength up, maybe try steps in a couple of weeks.."

Sherman looked at Sonia, "Thank you, Sonia." He then looked at Ryan with a soft smile, "You did great today, Ry."

Sonia nodded, moving to remove the exoskeleton and give ryans legs a rest. "Th.. thanks dad..." Ryan muttered, leaning back into his wheelchair with an exhausted sigh.

"Of course." Sherman ran a hand through Ryan's hair. "Let's go back to the room so you can rest." He said softly. He looked to Sonia again, "Thank you, again." He said genuinely as he pushed Ryan out of the room.