Chapter 4 Peter Pan Came through my Window

Finally

Finally. Alone at last, in a sweet soft bed. Ooh, and feather-stuffed pillows. Come to Mama. I was so doggone tired I didn't even bother changing into my pajamas although to be honest, it was more of a mental than physical exhaustion. But lying in my bra and underwear in an unfamiliar place didn't feel comfortable so I reluctantly got up to put on a slip. It was one of those sexy royal-blue lace pieces, a secret gift from Trini to me on my eighteenth birthday. Mom doesn't know it exists in my wardrobe. I smiled to myself as I put it on. No one would ever see it but, at least I had the satisfaction of wearing something—mischievous. I imagined Kevin seeing me in it once we got married and lived happily ever after but... sigh, maybe if I ever go home again.

I thought once more about Mom's hot chocolate and suddenly a wave of homesickness hit me. I let out a sigh, trying to suppress it. I missed home so damn much.

I pulled out my phone and considered calling Mom. I didn't want to go to bed with what I said to them ringing in my ears. But maybe it was too soon; they were probably still disappointed in me. I wiped my eyes and sent Mom and Dad a text instead. They should get it—it was about lunchtime in Venice.

I miss you. Love you. It's night here so... goodnight. That should ease my guilt, at least towards them. Tony didn't deserve it yet.

I pulled on my silky kimono robe to hide my scandalous outfit as I was heading downstairs. I needed a hot chocolate like my life depended on it and I was going to get one myself.

I snuck out of my room, flinching every time I heard a sound. I didn't want to be found; I'd had enough of trivial small talk and wanted this to be my little secret. I just had to find that kitchen—

"Miss Alyssa?" Bealey's voice sounded. I turned and saw him coming out of a set of double doors leading to the kitchen. Score!

"Yeah, um, do you mind not telling anybody you saw me?" I asked hesitantly. He smiled.

"Don't worry, your secret's safe with me," he whispered amiably. I smiled.

"Thanks."

"Not at all, Miss. Did you need something?"

"You wouldn't happen to have some cocoa lying around, would you?"

"Plenty of it, Miss. I don't usually make it because Lady Westrope can't stand it. But my nephew who works here occasionally loves having it so I always keep some on hand."

"Oh, you have a nephew working here?" I followed him into the kitchen. He put on the kettle and I sat on the kitchen island while he took out a mug.

"Usually. He stays here during the holidays and helps out. He was supposed to show up tonight, but..." again that look of worry crossed his face before he hid it.

"I guess it helps having an extra hand around here," I observed. "Must be a lot to attend to the whole house plus my grandmother."

"There are servants who come by during the day." He turned around. "It's not that difficult, if I'm being honest. Only the chauffeur happened to be off today and I needed a little extra help with the dinner—" he stopped abruptly as though biting his tongue.