Chapter 7 Are You Ready For It?

↖chapter soundtrack.

I panicked. I tried the door again in vain, jiggling the handle frantically like a frightened goose.

"Don't just stand there, help me open this door!" I cried in the general direction of the voice that spoke earlier.

"That door's not gonna open except on the outside, dove." Dove? It's him! It's Peter Pan! I recognized his voice now! The irony of finally getting him alone—in a dark, creepy cellar...

"Are you feeling alright?" He asked me. I didn't realize I had started laughing hysterically.

"I'm fine, just locked in a dark room with a guy who broke into my room a few days ago..."

"You remember me." He sounded like he was grinning. I heard footsteps and knew he was coming near me.

"Stay back, don't you dare try anything funny!" I warned, pushing my hands out to stop him. He caught one of them and pressed something into my palm.

"Relax. I'm trying to get you to calm down," he replied softly. "Here. Take a bite."

"What is it?"

"Mars Bars. You sound like you're on the verge of a breakdown. And no, it's not drugged or anything."

"As if I'd believe that!" I sounded shrill as a mouse. Boy, my nerves were strained. I heard Peter Pan sigh.

"Alright, let me convince you." He raised my hand to his mouth, the chocolate still in it and I felt him bite into it. His soft lips brushed against my fingers and my skin came alive. What in the world? My body itself felt like it got activated like a volcano. Lava even rushed to my cheeks! What is this?

"Believe me now?" He asked.

"I guess," I said in a small voice. He took the bar from my hand and I felt him touch it to my lips.

"Try it," he persuaded. I don't know what compelled me to open my mouth, but the next minute I tasted the familiar nuttiness of Mars Bars.

"Better?" He asked. I nodded and then realized he couldn't see it.

"Mmm-mm," I responded instead. I felt his hands close upon mine, sending little electric waves across my skin.

"You're shaking. Are you afraid of the dark?" He asked. He didn't sound mocking, just mildly concerned.

"N-no, just... locked rooms," I admitted. It was partially true; I was afraid of doors that didn't open when I tried them. Especially in a room with no other means of escape. I once got stuck in a bathroom when I was little. I had to break the lock to get out after half an hour. It was a freaky experience.

"We'll get out of here, okay? I promise. Someone will come looking for you sooner or later," he said assuredly. My mind understood, but my body delayed getting the message. My legs were still wobbly.

"Is there a chair or something here? I need to sit down."

"There is." I felt him lead me by the hand until my shins bumped into what felt like a bench. He guided me to it and I plopped down thankfully. I felt it sag a little as his weight also fell on it.

"What are you doing here anyway?" He asked as he continued munching the chocolate. "Did you get lost on the way to the ballroom?"

"I needed a drink," I replied. I tried to make him out in the dark but it was useless. I'd just have to talk in the direction of his voice.