Chapter 41 Under the Mistletoe

Christmas approached fast and my heart was torn between living out a painfully forbidden love story with my heartthrob and trying to enjoy the holidays with my family

Christmas approached fast and my heart was torn between living out a painfully forbidden love story with my heartthrob and trying to enjoy the holidays with my family. At least the Christmas shopping, card-making, and gift-wrapping distracted me from my heartache for a while. Daylen also encouraged me not to worry about us all through Christmas—he said this was an opportunity to be with my family and that should enjoy it.

But behind every smile, my heart wrung.

Gwan's Christmas Gala would take place on Christmas night and I awaited it with gut-wrenching anticipation. No one but Tony knew that I was about to drop a big bombshell at the ball. My stomach already felt like a minefield just thinking about it.

I tried to enjoy the festivities with my family, I really did. But I dreaded what would happen afterward—what if, and that's a big what if, after I revealed everything, my family was vehemently against my relationship with Daylen simply because he was a Griffith? Would I be forced to choose between them and my heartthrob then?

The thought plagued me day and night. But if it came to a choice, my heart knew who I would choose.

"Hey." Daylen greeted me quietly the evening of Christmas Eve in the ballroom by the giant Christmas tree. He asked me to meet him there as it was the only room that wasn't occupied by anyone. We still had to keep our rendezvous secret. He was heading home after this to be with his mum and uncle for Christmas and my family and I would be leaving for midnight Mass soon. It was the first night we'd be apart from each other in a long time and though I felt forlorn at the thought, I would brave it out. Just twenty-four hours until I saw him again.

"Hey," I greeted him back with a bittersweet smile. His eyes were filled with longing as he opened his arms for me. I went into them, holding him tight.

"I got you your Christmas present," I said after we parted, pulling a small gift-wrapped box out of my hoodie.

"Already? Yours doesn't get here till tomorrow," Daylen said with a playful pout.

"Doesn't matter," I waved indulgently, "just open it." I watched him open it slowly with a tingle of excitement, waiting to see his face. He gasped when he saw my gift.

"Oh, Lys, it's absolutely lovely." Emotion filled his eyes as he took in my handmade frame, painted silver with red and blue hearts all over. Inside were the four photos we took on our date in Covent Garden. I took copies for myself and let him have the originals.

"You really like it?" I asked nervously. His big hug was response enough that he did.

"I'll cherish it always," he said, placing kisses on my forehead. I heard him sigh after a moment.

"Tomorrow's the day... Are we really going to go through with this, Lys?" He asked in a whisper.

"Are you?" I asked softly. "Daylen, us coming out might mean you giving up your job—"