Chapter 25 Far from the Maddening Crowd

I returned to the kitchen but didn't go inside; I found the bags of trash that Bealey had kept to dispose of at the backdoor

I returned to the kitchen but didn't go inside; I found the bags of trash that Bealey had kept to dispose of at the backdoor. Ew, it smelled revolting. But I needed it.

I sorted through the bags until I found the bag with food waste. Perfect, a feast for the pigs. I also snagged a bag of seeds in the kitchen and ran back to the barn. I began to scatter it in a steady trail from the pig sty and the chicken coup to the conservatory back door. You ever see the movie Mulan from nineteen ninety-eight? Yeah, the chicken idea was straight-out brilliant. If I'm right, the animals should follow the food trail like Hansel and Gretel did with white pebbles. Then I went back and opened the pigsty gate and the net gate fencing the chicken coup.

"Let there be mayhem." I grinned darkly to myself, delighted with the mischief I'd caused. The animals gobbled their food and kept chasing the trail all the way up to the conservatory. I scurried out of the barn before they could get near me—to be honest, pigs disgusted me ever since I found out they eat their own poop. I threw up the bacon I'd been eating when Tony dropped that bomb at the breakfast table one morning when I was eight. Bye-bye pork.

"May I have everyone's attention? We'll be choosing the charity now!" I heard Helena call from inside the conservatory. I stood at a distance, watching the animals invade the ball—when I heard screams and yells, I knew my plan worked.

"Yessss!" I pumped my fist in the air, having a Kevin McCallister moment. I peeked through the glass wall to survey my handiwork—the farm animals were throwing their own party inside while the guests had hopped onto tables and chairs (including, I was thrilled to see, Laurel and Hugo), casting all decorum aside in the face of mayhem. Laurel gave a piercing shriek as one particular pig came near and chewed the edge of her gown. I chortled silently. I gotta thank that pig later for that. Things were going better than I hoped. Excellent. Now to carry out phase two of my plan.

I went to the back of the conservatory where there was a giant generator running—it was used to supply electricity for the ball. I grabbed the largest wire connected to it and heaved—until it got unplugged. Immediately the conservatory was plunged into darkness, drawing fresh cries of dismay from inside. I pulled out my handy scissors and cut the wire. Now even if anyone discovered it was unplugged, they'd never be able to get the power back on.

I returned to the entrance of the conservatory where I heard exactly what I wanted to hear.

"Everyone, please exit the conservatory in an orderly fashion, we can reconvene in the ballroom!" People were screaming and howling due to the animals under their feet and the pitch-black darkness that didn't make things easier for them. I chuckled until tears rolled down my cheeks. Man, I was good. I watched everyone tumble out of the conservatory at top speed and rush back to the estate while the animals scattered out onto the fields.

"I want my pigs and chickens back where they belong!" I heard Gwan screech. This time, Helena looked frazzled; her dignity was definitely shattered to pieces.