Chapter 22 A Prince and a Pauper

"Alyssa..." He looked so crestfallen at the sight of me that a little regret twinged my heart. I didn't want to cause him pain; whatever the reason he kept up his double identity until now, it obviously distressed him.

"Hey," I said, going nearer and laying a hand on his arm. I gave him a little smile to let him know I wasn't mad at him.

"Hey," he croaked, swallowing heavily. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. All week. Well, since August, really," I said with a wan smile. He clutched the countertop for support and exhaled heavily, hanging his head.

"How long have you known?" He asked in barely a whisper.

"It took me a while; I'd never gotten a good look at you so... the first day at Angel Lane was kinda the first time I had an inkling."

"I see." He closed his eyes as though in defeat. After a moment he opened them and turned to me.

"Lys I—I'm so sorry." He looked so penitent there was no way I could be angry with him. So instead of flaring up, I reached out and touched his face with gentle fingers.

"Why, Daylen? Why all the secrecy?" I asked softly. He placed his hand over mine and I felt him press it against his cheek.

"It's a long story..." He looked unsure.

"Daylen, if you don't want to tell me, it's okay—"

"No, I do want to, Lys, I want to be honest with you, I want you to be a part of my life, just as I want to be a part of yours." He ran his hands through his hair, frustration crossing his countenance.

"But things in my life are so," he cursed, "blotched up, I don't know where to even begin!" He turned away from me as though too ashamed to even face me. I came up behind him and wrapped my arms around him, resting my head on his back.

"You don't have to worry, Daylen. I'm not gonna go away. I promise, no matter what you tell me, I won't leave." I hugged him tight and after a second I felt him clasp my hands over his stomach.

"Lys... You have every right to resent me. I played you and lied to you. I don't even deserve to look at you right now! And you're promising that you won't leave me? You don't even know anything about me!" He turned around looking tormented. I slipped my hands into his.

"I don't care, Daylen! I have a say in this too! And if I choose to forgive you, it's my choice! I just want to know why. But if you can't tell me that now, I'll wait till you're ready."

"Why, Lys? Why? I don't deserve to have someone like you wait for me." His eyes glistened at me as he spoke. I swallowed.

"Because, Daylen... I want to try hard for you too." I reminded him of his words that he spoke to me after the ball. He wasn't gonna give up on me—well I wasn't gonna give up on him either.

"Lys..." He pulled me close into a warm hug. I kissed the skin above his collar as I let him hold me, hoping he'd draw comfort from whatever was tormenting him.

"I'm just glad you're alright," I sounded muffled against him but I continued, "I was so worried when I didn't hear from you all week. And when you didn't come to Angel Lane..." He lifted my chin with his finger.

"I'll say it a thousand times, Lys, I'm sorry for cutting you off like that. I didn't think you'd worry about me. I had—some things to take care of." I nodded understandingly.

"It's okay. You don't have to," I said, giving him a little kiss on his cheek. He smiled at me sincerely—for the first time.

"So, how much do you know?" He asked with a little bit of his old self returning. I could hear echoes of my Peter Pan in his voice and smiled, musing exactly what to tell him. I checked items off my fingers as I counted.