Chapter 24 Ballrooms and Barnyards

"Hen, that's not even a real color!" Henry was standing in my room holding up a round neck half-sleeved floor-length gown in the most hideous shade of brown—or gray? Ever

"Hen, that's not even a real color!" Henry was standing in my room holding up a round neck half-sleeved floor-length gown in the most hideous shade of brown—or gray? Ever. "You can't expect me to wear that!"

"Please Lys, then I can convince Gran that I've managed to reform you." He looked like a wounded puppy. I groaned.

"Ugh, the things I do for you!" I snatched the dress irritably. Henry smiled in relief.

"Thank you."

"So back to the main issue—what did Gwan say about the globe?"

"She does approve of it, she was thinking the party might be a bit dull this year otherwise, without some form of entertainment to liven it up a bit," Henry said dismally. I grunted.

"Shit." The globe was just for show anyway; I knew Helena was going to trick Gwan. But I didn't tell Henry that yet.

"Lys, I hope you know what you're doing," Henry said, a crease of worry lining his forehead.

"I told you to trust me. The joker won't fail to make mayhem tonight," I said confidently. "The less you know, the better, I don't want Gwan's wrath to come down on you for knowing and not telling. Helena already found out we're in cahoots; after the dust settles, she won't hesitate to rat you out. I want you to be able to deny knowing anything when that moment comes." Henry suddenly came over and hugged me tight.

"Thank you, Lys. I owe you tremendously." Aww, poor guy! This must mean a lot to him. I hugged him back.

"Don't you worry your head, cuz. I got this. And you'll be getting this estate. What's left of it," I muttered audibly before raising my volume again. "Now shoo, I gotta get ready." He left the room looking more relaxed. Okay, now, to dress.

I gave a disgusted look at the get-up, reluctant to wear the hideous thing. Hmm, maybe with a few alterations...

Forty minutes later, I made my way down to the kitchen after remodeling the gown with a little sheer glitter lavender tulle and some quick snipping of the sleeves and the skirt, making an A-line

Forty minutes later, I made my way down to the kitchen after remodeling the gown with a little sheer glitter lavender tulle and some quick snipping of the sleeves and the skirt, making an A-line. What? Mom was an expert at needlework and taught me well—thanks to Gwan's slave-driven command for her to learn it when she was little. Well, now it backfired on Gwan herself; I wasn't going to go to her ball looking like a moth.