Chapter 15 At the Ball

🔥🥵💋❤ Content warning: it's gonna be hot!

The day of the ball arrived. I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly brought surprises I wasn't ready for. Starting with the one in my room.

I was rummaging through my clothes looking for a drop-dead party dress when I came across the paper bag I had stuffed Daylen's jacket in from barbeque night last week. I meant to give it back the next day but forgot about it. And he didn't ask for it either. So I just put it away for the time being. I took it out now, expecting to feel the weight of the jacket but it was empty. Huh? Where was his jacket? I hunted all over my room for it but couldn't find it.

"A jacket can't just disappear!" I exclaimed to myself. Wait a second. If a certain someone could break into my room back at the estate, that same someone might have done it here as well. I groaned. Daylen! I was sure he broke into my room and had taken his jacket. I couldn't find my pencil either which means he took that too. Unbelievable.

Should I find him and confront him about it? I bit my thumb as I debated. Breaking in and entering was against the rules; but then if anyone else asked to enter my room to prove it was broken into, they'd see my prohibited fairy lights and that'd be the end of that. Plus, I hadn't come face to face with Daylen since he kissed me in the library. Awkward. I still can't believe that happened! Ugh, forget it. But I'm pretty sure Daylen was the one who broke in; he's the only one who knew about my lights but didn't rat me out. If anyone else had seen them, they'd be out like a light. Pun intended.

Still, that wasn't exactly an attention-demanding problem. Right now, I need a ball gown. Or rather, a club outfit.

I felt excited; this was my first time at a club. Not even in Venice did I ever break into a club—thinking back, I feel I should've, with Kevin. I felt a pang at the thought of him. He still hadn't called or texted in days. I felt a bit worried; was Kevin ghosting me because he couldn't handle a cross-continent relationship? I knew long distancing was tough, but this was just painful. Unexpectedly, my lonely thoughts turned to Daylen... no, Lys, you can't! Even if there is something drawing you to him, you can't give in to these temptations!

I shook my head violently and rummaged through my clothes. Tonight was going to help me forget all about Daylen. I might even get down and dirty on the dance floor. I mean, what Kevin doesn't know—it should have been him I'd be dancing at my first night out with! But since life tore me away from my only boyfriend, I'd execute payback by having as much fun as possible! Ha! Take that, life of hard knocks!

I stood still as I suddenly realized something.

"Congratulations Lys, you're arguing with yourself in your head." I clapped my head as I soliloquized the thought. Gosh, I'm in desperate need of a social life. Back to dress-hunting.

Finally settling on my prom dress (A golden, heart-necked, sleeveless shimmering array of sexiness) I closed my wardrobe. Perfect. With my rhinestone stilettos and a pair of hoop earrings, I was good to go.