Chapter 40 It's a Love Story

I couldn't eat anything all day after that. Everyone else however got along better at dinnertime, chatting more amiably. Helena especially kept the conversation going, conveniently leaving me out of it. I didn't care, I didn't feel like talking or eating anyway. I couldn't swallow a single bite, what with worry gnawing my insides. I can't believe a food-lover like me lost her appetite...

Worst part was that both Bealey and Daylen were serving dinner. It was so hard watching my beloved heartthrob serve the very family who would despise him if they knew who he was. I sat subdued in my seat, not daring to say a word but sneaking anguished glances at him in stolen moments and catching him doing the same. Only Tony knew what was going on (well, not everything) and gave me comforting glances when no one was looking. I couldn't wait to get to bed and finally be with Daylen again.

"Hey, butterbean, you okay?" Dad patted me on my back after dinner. "You don't look so chipper." Yikes, I was forlorn and miserable but I couldn't let my family see that!

"No, no, I'm fine," I said, mustering a bright smile. "Just a little tired."

"Then why don't you hit the hay early tonight, bud?" Dad asked kindly. "We can hang out tomorrow, go shopping, and binge on Monopoly once you're well-rested."

"Sure, Dad, g'night." I hugged him, Mom, and Tony and went to bed. Tony was considerate enough not to ask any questions yet. I knew I'd have to explain things to him eventually, just... not today. I was rundown.

I showered and got into bed late that night, waiting for my heartthrob to sneak in. I quietly listened to some old-timey carols on my boombox until he came, softly singing along to soothe the ache in my heart and wishing I could live out the lyrics.

A time for living, a time for believing

A time for trusting, not deceiving

Love and laughter and joy ever after

Ours for the taking, just follow the master

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine

Children singing Christian rhyme

With logs on the fire and gifts on the tree

A time to rejoice in the good that we see.

If only I could rejoice! But though there was love, laughter and joy were in short supply right now as I had to deceive everyone and hide my boyfriend... what did I do to deserve this?!

A soft, familiar knock on the door startled me. I got up and opened it to my heartthrob, holding a paper bag in his hand. Behind him trotted in faithful Bilbo—the cute little fella sure loved Daylen more than Gwan.

"Hello, dove—whoa." Daylen froze when he took in my appearance, his ears turning red. I had worn my sultry, royal-blue slip, the same one I wore when Daylen first came through my window. It was a bit nostalgic. Daylen however, looked at me with smoldering irises. They raked me up and down in desire, pausing in inquiry on my face.

"Just thought I'd get this old thing out," I explained, a faint smile coming on my face. At least I could still drive Daylen wild with what I wore. He smiled back.

"Haven't seen that in a while. Is it a special occasion?" He asked, licking his lips as he continued to make eyes at me.

"Every night with you is, Daylen," I said softly. His gaze warmed on my face as he shut the door behind him, pulling me into a hug.