Chapter 5 What a Day in London

⬆️Theme track.

I changed into a mandarin-colored mini-dress before breakfast. I probably looked like a splash of color in a sepia-colored film—everyone else blended with the pastel décor of the room. Gwan and my cousins were already there looking like they missed their morning cup of coffee.

"Morning everybody," I said cheerfully. My endorphins were pumping after my workout and I had no reason to get sucked into their vortex of gloominess.

"You seem well rested. I missed an extra hour of sleep due to some confounded racket in the morning." Helena shot daggers at me.

"Whoops. My bad," I smiled sweetly at her. "I usually get in a fifteen-minute workout every morning, you see."

"At least you keep active," Henry mumbled as he nibbled on a hard-boiled egg. Helena shot him a venomous look for siding with me.

"Come now, Henry, your sister is a marvelous ballerina," Gwan commented.

"Not for some years." Henry coughed into his teacup. Helena scoffed.

"I have far better things to do now, I don't need to continue ballet. Pass the cream, Henry." She and Gwan ate porridge, I noticed. I helped myself to toast and eggs with orange juice; anything was better than that miserable earl gray.

"So, what do you plan to do today, Alyssa?" Gwan asked, but I didn't hear because I was looking at the dining room entrance. I wanted to see if Peter Pan would make his appearance—if he helped out in the kitchen, surely he must serve at the table as well—

"Alyssa," Henry poked me in the arm. I frowned at him.

"What?" I asked. He nodded towards Gwan.

"I was asking if you had any plans for today. But I'm sure you don't so I made some for you. You're going shopping with Helena! Won't that be delightful?" I tried to keep from flinching in horror at Gwan's words.

"Er, I don't really need anything new, Gwan, so I'll pass."

"Nonsense, of course you need a new gown! What with the ball coming up—"

"What ball?" Gwan gave me a frown as she admonished my interruption.

"Will you please let me finish? Your welcoming ball, of course! I have to introduce my granddaughter to everyone! It will be a grand party, somewhat like a debutante ball."

"I'm sure she doesn't know what that is, Grandma," Helena said silkily.

"I do too! I've seen Gilmore Girls," I flared up.

"And you're willing to admit that in public?" Helena patronized me. I rolled my eyes, my mood going downhill.

"Gwan, there's no need for a new gown, I've got my own party dresses. I'll wear—"

"Enough, I've already decided," Gwan snapped, her thin patience dissipating. "I'd go with you girls myself but I have to get started on the invitations." I sighed. Shopping with Helena would be a nightmare.

"I think I'm done here," I said quietly, lifting my plate off the table.

"Where are you going?" Henry asked me.

"Taking my plate to the kitchen. I don't want to make Bealey walk a hundred times," I answered bluntly and scrambled off before Gwan could protest. Although that was partly true, the real reason I snuck off to the kitchen was to find Peter Pan. If he still existed.