Chapter 13 In Daylen's Pocket

I thought I had this socializing thing in the bag. I was dead wrong. I just got myself in deep dirt. All because I had to try and fit in. And what was the collateral damage from that decision? I was shamefully attracted to Daylen Griffith.

The thought didn't let me sleep for the next few days. That, and the fact that I had to spend a night with him soon. After some sort of ball; I had to go find out what that was.

The guilty thought that I was practically cheating on Kevin kept gnawing at me. And yet, I couldn't bring myself to make the decision to put Daylen out of my mind. Which only frustrated me more. Sure he was undeniably attractive from his deadly good looks to his charming lisping British accent, but he was also infuriating to talk to and he kept making me doubt whether he was the Peter Pan who invaded my room and kissed me or not! And it's not like I could go up to him and ask him! I grunted out loud at the sheer barrage of thoughts, startling a student nearby. I was seated in the library doing some research (more daydreaming than research) and the geeky guy near me gave me a disapproving look through his thick lensed glasses, probably wondering if I was right in the head.

"Sorry," I whispered, and he turned back to his books with a shake of his head. I sighed. Daylen Griffith was taking up way too much of my mind. I felt my phone vibrate with a text and pulled it out of my back pocket. It was from Henry. Perfect timing.

Hello cuz. What's cooking?

Is that you trying to sound American? Bcoz you're doing a lame job. I texted back.

Had to try. So how are you faring at King's?

I'm surviving.

Finding things hard? You know you can always take a break for the weekend and come home.

Yeah right. I'll take my chances at King's instead. Anything's better than having my head lopped off by her royal majesty. I texted, referring to Gwan.

Hehe, yeah, right now she's blowing up over a fly infestation in the stables. I laughed inwardly at that and sent a 'lol' emoji.

So what's up? You got a reason for texting? I texted back. Henry took time to reply and I wondered if he went off. Until my phone rang. I quickly got up and walked out of the library as I got a few annoyed stares.

"What?!" I whispered to Henry outside.

"You sound miffed. Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"No, just—I was in the library. So, what's the real reason you're calling?"

"Nothing, just checking in on my cousin." He sounded concerned and amused at the same time. I sighed. At least someone from the estate cared.

"I'm fine, thanks. How's the mission with Helena the Terrible going?"

"I won't beat around the bush, it's slow progress now that you're not here. I would appreciate it if you put in an appearance..."

"Ah, so there's the ulterior motive." I grinned. He laughed nervously.

"Can't blame me for trying."

"Alright, I drop by in a couple of weeks. Oh by the way, do you know what a 'Freshers Ball' is?"

"Of course, it's the social highlight of the season! An annual soiree, hosted at the Cafe de Paris at the end of September to celebrate the start of a new term at King's. As I recall, it gets bloody disorderly."

"Disorderly?"

"On account of the alcohol and—youthful pursuits."

"Oh." I just envisioned Sorority Wars.