Chapter 37 The Goat of Christmas Present

Christmas is the most exciting time of the year—but a lot can happen even before that

Christmas is the most exciting time of the year—but a lot can happen even before that. And one of the wildest exciting adventures that happened the week before the big day was the great goat chase.

It all started with me visiting—wait for it—Gwan's barn. Normally, you couldn't threaten me at gunpoint to go into a stinky, poop-filled, animal stead, waaaay across the estate after a long walk through frost-bitten grounds, but when I heard my heartthrob would be there doing chores... Oh, heck, even animal poop couldn't hold me back.

I did wear some extra perfume though.

"Knock, knock," I rapped on the shed door, looking around for my beau.

"Top of the morning, dove," my heartthrob greeted me from behind a goat's butt. He was milking it into a bucket and smiled as I drew near.

"Hey, babe. Er, don't they have machines for that?" I asked as I entered, glancing quizzically at Daylen's manual labor.

"They do, but Grizzly Gerty here is new and won't allow anyone to strap her up to a machine," Daylen explained. I raised my eyebrows.

"Grizzly Gerty?"

"She's temperamental. Has quite a wild disposition and a headbutt you don't want to be in front of."

"And yet, she'll let you touch her butt," I snorted under my breath. "Figures, all the females like my heartthrob." Daylen chuckled.

"I'm surprised you'd come in here, dove. I thought I'd find you miles away from a barn." I could hear the humor in his voice.

"Ha, ha," I said sarcastically, "I'm not a snob. Besides, I came to help."

"Um..." Daylen looked unsure. "Better sit this one out, dove. I can handle it."

"You're not afraid I'll—muck things up, are you?" I asked demurely. Daylen laughed at my pun.

"Believe me, the horses have that covered. No, I'm saying Gerty here requires delicate handling and there's no other work demanding attention right now."

"Oh, okay." A little figure on four legs appeared with a short yap and ran up to me.

"Bilbo!" I exclaimed, bending down and patting him. "What are you doing here, boy?"

"Keeping me company," Daylen said with a smile, "that reminds me—I wanted to ask you something. I'm visiting my Mum tomorrow and—"

"I wanna come!" I blurted out. Daylen laughed.

"I thought you would, dove. I'm planning to cook something to take to her for lunch—"

"You do enough work around here, Daylen," I stopped him hurriedly. "I'll do the cooking, just tell me your Mum's favorites."

"You're a darling, dove," Daylen said with melty eyes at me. "But you'll need an excuse to tell your grandmother why you're leaving."

"Don't worry about it, I got that in the bag," I said, waving my hand dismissively. "Hey, is there something I can sit on around here?"