Chapter 42 The Nightmare after Christmas

When we returned to our table for dinner (the scariest part of the evening) I could feel all eyes on us again. At least Gwan hadn't returned from her mingling yet. So far, it was a miracle no one recognized Daylen. Until—

"Say, son," Dad suddenly snapped his fingers as he addressed Daylen, "didn't I see you working around here this week?" There it is.

"Yes, sir, I do work here," Daylen replied openly, "I work part-time jobs to support my family." Henry was scrutinizing Daylen like he was the ghost of Christmas past, looking extremely confused. The lightbulb was probably going off in his head around now. He'd be enlightened soon enough.

"Workin' part-time for the holidays—damn, that's dedication." Dad clapped Daylen on his back, impressed.

"I do respect a hardworking young man who can take responsibility," Mom said, her eyebrows smoothening. My heart lifted; was she warming up to Daylen?

"Oh, I suppose that's why you seemed awfully familiar, I must've seen you around here," Aunt Hildegard commented. Helena scrunched her disdainful nose in the air.

"Yes, no wonder, Alyssa's dating the kitchen help," she muttered nastily under her breath. I clenched my fists. Someday, she was gonna fall flat on her smug little face from that glorified pedestal she set herself on.

"I must say, I'm very happy for you, Lys honey, I only wish you'd told us sooner," Mom said to me more kindly.

"Believe me, Mom, I tried," I answered truthfully, "but what with one thing and the other, it couldn't happen. Until, today." Daylen caressed my hand under the table. Phew, things were going more smoothly than I expected; no drama, no tempers flying, no denunciations. That is until Gwan showed up.

"There you all are, you should be out there meeting everyone!" Gwan squawked on seeing us at the table. Her eyes fell on me and Daylen for a second, flinty as rocks. Thankfully, Mom intervened before I could get a tongue-lashing.

"Mummy, we've been on our feet all evening meeting your guests." She gave Gwan a pointed look. Gwan huffed and sat down.

"Very well, you can continue after dinner." As if on cue, waiters arrived, serving us and everyone else the first course of dinner. What a blessing it was that Bealey was off, otherwise things would've gotten messier. Like losing-his-job messier. Whatever came out tonight, I had to keep the fact that Daylen was his nephew under wraps—thankfully when he applied for the job, he said he never mentioned he was the butler's nephew.

"So, Alyssa dear," Gwan began, her voice hard as nails despite the eloquence, "that was quite an entrance you made. First time I'm hearing about you fraternizing with my kitchen staff." She glared me down, daring me to answer.

"Yes, Gwan, Daylen and I met and hit it off and started dating, it's not that complicated," I said with an effort to be polite. Mom cleared her throat but said nothing.

"Yes, how very interesting," Gwan continued, razing Daylen with hostile eyes. I glanced at Daylen but he appeared calm as he sipped his soup.

"I don't recall ever inviting your—guest," Gwan went on, growing more frigid. I blinked innocently.

"Gee, Gwan, are you saying I couldn't bring my own boyfriend to this shindig?" Ha, that word should upset her stomach. But Mom stepped in again before the fireworks erupted.

"Come now, Mummy, I'm sure you're happy to accommodate my daughter's boyfriend." Thank you, Mom.

"Yes, of course," Gwan said with a smile that made me shudder in aversion, "any friend of my granddaughter is welcome, I suppose." I thought the topic ended there as Dad and Daylen actually fell into pleasant conversation and Tony chatted a little with Henry. Mom and Aunt Hildegard were cozily reminiscing and I began to relax. All seemed calm again until the entreé was served.