Chapter six

pulling on the straps of her backpack, Measi dragged her feet across the concrete. She walked up the front of the group. She sighed as she grabbed her water bottle, squeezing the last of her water into her mouth. Three weeks ago already, three weeks since Beth and Tyreese had died. 

While in Atlanta with Noah, Tyreese got bit and they were too late for amputation. 

''We're not at our strongest. We'll get 'em when it's best. High ground, something like that.'' Measi shielded her eyes from the sun as she looked at the walkers behind them, not trusting their odds. ''They're not going anywhere. It's been three weeks since Atlanta. I know you lost something back there.''

''She's hungry.'' Daryl pointed at Judith in Rick's arms, who was softly fussing. ''She's okay. She's going to be okay.'' Measi debated for a second until she let one strap fall of her shoulder and opened her her backpack, passing Rick a small glass jar with apple sauce. ''Last I got.''

''We need to find water, food.'' Daryl said as Rick didn't take the glass jar. ''We'll hit something in the road. It's gonna rain sooner or later.'' 

''I'm gonna head out. See what I can find.'' Daryl spoke as he took of Rick's gun and passed it to Measi. ''Don't be too long.'' She put the gun over her shoulder as she pushed the glass jar in Rick's hand. ''Don't be stubborn. She  needs it.'' She pushed the strap back as she took a few bigger steps, making sure that Rick couldn't give the jar back as Carl gave her a grateful smile. 

Measi stood at the end of the bridge as she looked down. Glenn, Rick, Michonne, Maggie, Abraham and Sasha stood with her. ''When they get close, just step aside.'' She turned to the others. ''Let gravity do it's work.'' 

She stood with her knife in her hand, if things went south, she had a weapon. And luckily, she did. Sasha walked right up to one, holding her arm in front of her as a walker tried to get to her. Measi sighed loudly as she turned to Glenn, silently questioning if she should help her. ''Stay in line.'' Rick called the shots as everyone got their weapons out. ''Flank her. Keep it controlled.''

'' Plan just got dicked.'' 

''Preach.''

Measi was the first to attack them, her knife tightly secured within her three fingers as she stabbed the first walker between the eyes. She stayed close to Glenn as he took on the one next to her. The others joined in and soon enough, all the walkers were dead. Measi glared at Sasha as she turned to the older woman. ''Don't pull that bullshit, just because you're grieving doesn't mean that you can put us all in danger.'' 

Daryl and Daryl had returned from the woods, Daryl walking next to Measi as they approached three cars next to each other. ''I'm gonna head into the woods, circle back.'' Daryl started to walk into the the woods till he turned to Measi. ''Meas.''  

''May I come with?'' Carol asked them, Measi wanted to say yes, but before she could, Daryl spoke up. ''No. No, just us.'' Turns out, there was nothing in the woods except for a chewed up rabbit. 

When they'd just sat down, four dogs ran out of the woods, barking at the group as Measi got her knife out, just like Daryl. But, before they could do anything, Sasha shot all four of them in the head. Daryl and Measi glanced at each other before seeing the group eye them. ''Guess we're skinning them, huh?''

The next day came soon and it appeared to be the same as the day before. She had gone into the woods while the group stayed on the road. The woods were pretty much empty, no walkers, no food and no drink water.  The lack of walkers made her nervous, it made her on edge as she walked on her tippy toes with her blade in her hand. 

Walking in the woods seemed to clear her mind. First losing Nathan, then Beth and now Tyreese almost seemed to much to handle. The knife in her hand seemed to taunt her as she dragged it across her arms with minimal pressure. She took deep breaths in as she tried to ignore it. She pushed on the blade with more pressure as blood dripped down her arm before she pulled her jacket back, walking back to the group. 

She frowned as Rick pushed a note in her hand. ''From a friend'' she glanced at the bottles of water as she turned to the group. 

''What else are we gonna do?''

''Not this. We don't know who left it.''

''If that's a trap, we already happen to be in it.'' Measi spoke as Eugene nodded in agreement.

''But I, for one, would like to think it is indeed from a friend.''

''What if it isn't? They put something in it?'' Eugene grabbed a water bottle as he opened it. ''Quality assurance.'' Abraham quickly slapped it out of his hand as Rick shook his head. ''We can't.'' Just than, it finally rained. As others cheered, Measi rushed to the bottles of water and emptied them out, letting the rain water fall into them as Rick helped her empty out the old ones. 

As the first few bottles were full, Measi flinched in reaction of a loud thunderclap. ''Let's keep moving.''

They had ended up in a barn in the woods that Daryl had found earlier. She pushed the leather jacket of her as Glenn frowned at her arm. ''How did that happen?'' She quickly pushed her hand over it. ''Scraped it on a branch.'' He pulled her aside as he looked at her with a questioning look. ''Leave it alone Glenn, it's none of your business.'' 

Falling asleep wasn't hard that night, she rested her head in Daryl's lap as she slept, curled up in a ball as she had her leather jacket over her body to keep herself warm. Staying asleep was the hard part, she could hear rapid footsteps as she quickly opened her eyes, noticing she was no longer asleep in Daryl's lap and that he was pushing himself up against the doors of the barn. Her eyes grew wide as she got up and rushed to him, pushing her body weight against the right door as Maggie pushed against the other. One by one the others woke up too and started to push against the doors to keep the walkers out. She felt someone squising her against the door as she tried to hold in her tears, her eyes finding Daryl's as he nodded at her, mentally pushing her to keep going. 

Thank you for joining me on this chapter, I am going to go more into Measi's past now that we've covered most of her story and I can't wait for you guys to read it! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated. See you soon!

-X Violet's-library