Chapter four

Walking outside alongside the others, Measi rushed up to Daryl, hugging him closely as he kissed the top of her head.

''How is he?'' Dale looked at Rick as Daryl hung his arm over Measi's shoulder, taking in the view  of the house of Hershel's family. 

''He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people. -- And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him.''

''Thank God. We were so worried.'' Carol replied as she took Lori into an embrace, Dale speaking up again. 

''How'd it happen?''

''Hunting accident. That's all -- Just a stupid accident.''

''Blessed be God, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in Grace.'' Hershel spoke as people kept putting stones on the grave, when it was Measi's turn, she walked up and placed it down. She had never believed in God, but whatever she could do to comfort these people. ''Shane, will you speak for Otis?''

''I'm not good at it, I'm sorry.''

''You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning.''

''Okay.We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. "We've got to save the boy." See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead."Run," he said. He said, "I'll take the rear. I'll cover you." And when I looked back If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive.'' Measi listened to every single word very carefully, it seemed a bit ... just a bit fake, as if it was rehearsed. ''And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his.''

''How long has this girl been lost?'' Hershel, Rick, Andrea, Shane, Measi and Daryl were all standing around the car as they were talking about Sophia, Maggie came up to them with a map in her hands. 

''This'll be day three.''

''County survey map. Shows terrain and elevations.'' Maggie spoke as she unrolled the map, Measi glancing at the area. 

''This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organized. We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams.''

''Not you. Not today. You gave three units of blood.You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out. And your ankle -- Push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody.'' Hershel said as he nodded to Rick and Shane, Daryl seeing this as an opportunity. 

''Guess it's just me. I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there.'' 

''I can still be useful. I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back.'' Shane responded, Measi and Daryl both giving a nod.

''All right, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right.'' Rick said as he studied the map again, Shane nodding as he looked at the others. 

''That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them.''

''I'd prefer you not carrying guns on my property. We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp.'' Hershel spoke up, earning the attention of Daryl and Measi, who glanced at each other before Measi looked at her sniper.