Chapter four

After most of the trained men left the camp to find Merle, Measi wanted to make herself useful. She took her knife, sniper and handgun with her and tracked into the woods. She knew how to hunt down walkers and animals so she was going to put it to use. 

She was tracking down a deer, seeing his prints in the dirt. She was careful to make as less sounds as possible, and killing as much walkers as she could. The less walkers, the less chance for them to get the deer. She didn't want to repeat what happened with Daryl's deer. 

Sticking her knife into a walkers head, she didn't notice the other walker coming from behind her. She yelled out when his hand grabbed her shoulder. Her foot slipped in the mud and the walker got stuck in the branches. She pulled the knife from the dead walkers head and pushed it into the other one's. 

Breathing heavily, she rested on her knees, pulling the knife out of the head and cleaning her knife. She didn't want any animal to get infected with the blood. She pulled herself back onto her feet and continued her trip.

After about an hour, she arrived back in camp, dragging a dead deer with her and a few squirrels. A few people clapped for her, her head snapped up to Andrea and Amy, who were able to catch a lot of fish. One thing was certain, they had enough food for tonight. 

''We should salt them and put them in bags, suck out the air with a straw.'' Shane smiled at the girl and gave her a nod, walking into the camper to get bags and a few straws. Both of them started to salt in the meat before putting them into the bags and sucking all of the air out, making sure to keep it fresh for a few weeks. 

''I don't wanna alarm anyone but ... we may have a small problem.''

Walking up the hill, Measi frowned at Jim, who was rapidly digging up dirt, making sort like graves.

''Hey, Jim. Jim, why don't you hold up, all right? - Just give me a second here, please.''

''What do you want?'' 

''We're all just a little concerned, that's all.''

''Dale says you've been out here for hours.'' Morales commented, Measi getting more and more uncomfortable with the situation. She may have been a fifteen year old, but she knew when someone wasn't good in the head.  

''So?''

'' So why are you digging? Are you heading to China, Jim?'

''What does it matter? I'm not hurting anyone.''

''Yeah, except maybe yourself. It's 100 degrees today. You can't keep this up.''

''Sure I can. Watch me.''

''Jim, they're not gonna say it so I will. You're scaring people. You're scaring my son and Carol's daughter.'' Lori turned to Measi, who still looked very uncomfortable. ''And Measi.'' She hoped that that would get through him, he cared for Maesi, so maybe he would stop. 

''They got nothing to be scared of. I mean, what the hell, people? I'm out here by myself. Why don't you all just go and leave me the hell alone?''

''We think that you need to take a break, okay? Why don't you go and get yourself in the shade? Some food maybe. I'll tell you what maybe in a little bit I'll come out here and help you myself. Jim, just tell me what it's about. Why don't you just go ahead and give me that shovel?'' Shane tried to reason with him, Measi even came to his side, she trusted his instinct. 

''Or what?'' 

''There is no 'or what'. I'm asking you. I'm coming to you and I'm asking you, please. I don't want to have to take it from you.''