Mini Vacay

We delivered Henry back to his hotel.  It was harder saying goodbye than I thought it would be.  When it was my turn, I reached around his huge shoulders and held on.  He lifted me off the ground as he hugged me back while I spoke quietly just to him in his ear.  "Thank you for everything.  I'm really gonna miss you."

I felt Henry's cheeks raise, letting me know he was smiling, as he spoke quietly in my ear as well.  "I'm going to miss you too sweetheart, but at least we live in an era of video calls and airplanes, right?"  I giggled before agreeing with his very proper sounding comment and he sat me back down on the ground.  He went into the hotel with one more wave goodbye and the rest of us headed back to Calvin's.

That night, Calvin knocked on the open door while we were packing up since we were set to leave the next day.  When I turned, I saw a gift in his hand and he smiled, handing it to me.  I questioned him.  "What's this for?"

"I was saving it for Christmas but I can't wait any longer.  It's for you both.  Well, one for each of you.  Open it."

Smiling, I pulled the tissue paper out and looked inside the gift bag.  There were two picture frames that I carefully pulled out, handing one to Chris.  We looked at the photo at the same time, both smiling, but it also brought tears to my eyes at how thoughtful it was. 

Looking up at Calvin, I laid the picture on the bed beside me and took the few steps there were between us to wrap my arms around his neck

Looking up at Calvin, I laid the picture on the bed beside me and took the few steps there were between us to wrap my arms around his neck.  Holding him tightly, I thanked him, feeling Chris come up behind me and hug both Calvin and I at the same time.  He spoke to Calvin, making me smile. 

"This was very thoughtful.  It means a lot that you went to this measure for us.  I mean you are her best friend, but to do this for each of us as a couple, it means a lot.  Thanks, man."

Chris had taken a few steps back from the hug before he had verbally thanked Calvin, but I hadn't moved from my embrace,  keeping my grip around my best friend's torso while I listened to the nice words my boyfriend said to him.  Overwhelmed, I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand when I did eventually let go, my voice cracking a little as I spoke.  "Thank you.  I know exactly when you took this but didn't know you had.  It really does mean a lot to me that you did this."

"You deserve it.  I'm proud of you."  Looking over my shoulder at my boyfriend behind me, Chris smiled and I didn't see any of the uneasiness I remembered seeing from him before he had gotten to know Calvin.  He was completely relaxed and turned to finish packing, not bothered at all that I had hung on to my friend for that long.

====================================

I woke to the sound of Chris bustling around the room before he went out the door. Looking at my phone, I saw the time but knew we weren't supposed to leave for a few more hours.  Looking around the room, I saw he already had our suitcases moved out, but the clothes I had set aside for today were still where I left them the night before.  He came back into the room after a few moments, and saw me awake and watching him.  Sitting on the side of the bed, he leaned over and kissed my forehead with a smile.  "Morning."