Nightime Talks

In this chapter, Calvin, Y/N's bff is finally shown.  The pictures are of Janis Danner.  He isn't Australian, but I thought he fit the part.

"How fast did you get in that kayak and over here?"

He started laughing, pulling a giggle from me. "It was a lot harder than I thought. Actually, I almost fell in. It didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. Seriously though, I enjoyed tonight. You'd be amazed how hard it is to find new people who talk to me like I'm Chris, and not like a celebrity. It was nice."

I couldn't help but stare at his face. The moon's light twinkled in his eyes and his smile was cute the way it pulled higher on one side. Finally regaining my composure, I smiled back. "That's actually really sad, I'm sorry."

"I'm used to it. So?"

"Sure. That'd be nice. You might want to come up on the screen porch though because the mosquitoes are horrible."

"You're sure? I know we just met and all, I totally would understand if you thought it was weird. I'm usually the one who likes my space, I enjoy my alone time. It was just refreshing talking to you and having you respond like a real person, not like someone who doesn't know how to act around me."

"Trust me. If I didn't want to sit around and talk to you, I wouldn't do it. I'd let you know. It's fine, plus, I do kind of know who you are, it's not like you're a stranger to me like I am to you."

Chris followed me as he kept our conversation going. "Well, technically you aren't too much of a stranger because Scott has talked about you since he met you and we're kind of neighbors. Even if it's only for a few months."

We reached the porch and I opened my door to throw my keys and purse on the table inside. I turned back around and sat on the cushion beside him on the wicker sofa on the screened porch.

As I got situated on my end of the small sofa and turned toward his direction, Chris questioned me. "So, you are the kind of person who doesn't adhere to things out of awkwardness? You said if you didn't want to do something you simply just wouldn't do it. That's good to know. Some people feel uncomfortable saying no and feel like if they do say it then they are hurting a person's feelings."

I smiled. "I learned a long time ago that being like that gets you nowhere in life. You only have a short time to live, why should we only do what other people want? It's not their life you're living."

"Totally understand and agree. Sometimes my brain gets overactive and I have to take a step back and regroup. That's why I like my alone time. I don't like to be smothered, you know?"

I nodded and he pressed on. "I love my family and friends, don't get me wrong, they are my life, but I like that they have their own lives too. Then I have my own things to do, or alone time and we come back together and it's like we are just picking back up from where we left off."

"I like my alone time too. But I do miss my family and friends. Well, I don't keep many close friends, so I should say I miss my best friend. He had to move back home for awhile. He did live here, we came here together."

"Oh yeah? Where's home for him?"

"Australia, actually."

"Oh wow! He isn't just a visit away then. He's really far away. Why'd he leave? .....oh wait, I'm sorry, that was kind of intrusive. It's none of my..."

"No. No, no it's fine. His sweet Grammy is sick. He went home to help with her. He didn't just live here in the same town, he lived in this house with me. We moved here together and opened the coffee shop together."